Bartlett in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Bartlett
When the membership outgrew the facility a new wooden structure was built at this location in 1900. The property here was donated to the fellowship by German immigrant J.E. Pietzsch (1844-1924) and his wife Margaret (1848-1929), pioneer area settlers and members of St. John's Lutheran Church.
Continued growth led to the construction of a larger sanctuary here in 1930. Built by the Brownwood firm of Moore and Hale, the brick sanctuary was finished during the pastorate of the Rev. W.M. Lanier. Six years after completion of the structure, church members had contributed the funds to pay the total cost of construction. The event was celebrated with a special note-burning ceremony
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1613.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #36 Lyndon B. Johnson series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 13, 1903.
Location. 30° 47.828′ N, 97° 25.785′ W. Marker is in Bartlett, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on W. Bell St., on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 W Bell St, Bartlett TX 76511, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woman's Wednesday Club (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bartlett Grammar School (about 500 feet away); City of Bartlett (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Booker T. Washington School (approx. 0.3 miles away); First National Bank of Bartlett (approx. 0.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Bartlett (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mount Arie (Mount Ararat) Missionary Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartlett.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,237 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.