Bartlett in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Booker T. Washington School
Gentry "Prof" Powell, Sr., and his wife, who had both served at the original Bartlett Colored School, moved with the students to the new school building in Fall 1949; earlier that year, in May, the school had celebrated its first Junior-Senior Prom and graduation, having become a Class B Accredited 12-grade school the previous school year. The students and teachers celebrated the new building on September 16, 1949, and for the next several years continued growing, as students from the nearby communities of Holland, Granger and Davilla transferred to the Bartlett Colored School. As a Class A Accredited high school, it became the Booker T. Washington School in 1957 in honor of the famed black educator.
As the school grew, it gained success in all areas, competing in University Interscholastic events in sports and academic subjects, including debate, spelling, declamation and music. Coach Gentry Powell led his football and track and field teams to championship games, winning at both district and state levels.
Bartlett schools integrated in 1965, and the Powells moved with other dedicated teachers to Bartlett High School, where they continued as educators. Today, an alumni group preserves the heritage of the early African American school and its role in the development of the community.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12974.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️ series list.
Location. 30° 47.958′ N, 97° 25.522′ W. Marker is in Bartlett, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on Cryer Dr., on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Cryer Dr, Bartlett TX 76511, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Bartlett (approx. 0.3 miles away); City of Bartlett (approx. 0.3 miles away); Woman's Wednesday Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bartlett Grammar School (approx. 0.4 miles away); First National Bank of Bartlett (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett (approx. half a mile away); First United Methodist Church of Bartlett (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. John Lutheran Church (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartlett.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,064 times since then and 43 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?