Williston in Williams County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
James Memorial Preservation Society
Listed as the James Memorial Library on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1979.
The James Memorial Library was built in 1910 in formal architecture known as American Renaissance in memory of D. Willis James. A banquet and grand ball was held on February 27, 1911 to dedicate the library.
In 1957 an additional two floors of 1500 square feet each were added for a children's library and community center.
In 1993 concerned citizens formed the James Memorial Preservation Society to save the historic library from destruction, thus establishing the James Memorial Art Center as a cultural center for the arts, educational exhibits, public forums, and meetings.
In 2011 a centennial ball was held to celebrate the first 100 years.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Education. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 27, 1911.
Location. 48° 9.008′ N, 103° 37.459′ W. Marker is in Williston, North Dakota, in Williams County. It is on 1st Avenue West just south of 7th Street West, on the right when traveling south. The marker is on the right side of the east/front building entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 621 1st Avenue West, Williston ND 58801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in North Dakota’s Bakken Oil Patch. It is also in the American Lewis & Clark Corridor, on the prairies, and on the Northern Plains. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once Ruperts Land and also the Louisiana Purchase.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Williston High School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Red Brick Williams County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cut Bluff (approx. 3.4 miles away); Navigating Cut Bluff (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lewis & Clark Wildlife Management Area (approx. 5.1 miles away).
Regarding James Memorial Preservation Society. National Register of Historic Places № 79001777.
From the National Register Nomination prepared by Kurt Schweigert, 9/21/1979:
The James Memorial Library was designed by R.S. Frost, a Minot architect, and constructed by W.W. Norton of Williston at a cost of $15,690. The buildings style is perhaps best described as Beaux-Arts Classicism inasmuch as it exhibits two recurring characteristics of the style: paired columns and arched windows, but its simplicity of line, minimal use of sculptural decoration, and pedimented portico might classify it as a Neo-Classical Revival structure. The building is constructed of cream-colored Hebron brick in a "cross" shape; much of the architectural detail is of limestone: round pillars, pilaster bases and caps, string course, pediment, window sills, decorative banding at the springline and entablature. The facade is of five bay width; the central bay projects from the facade and is faced with a pedimented portico of paired Tuscan columns, one square with a shaft of brick, and the other round with a limestone shaft. The frieze bears the title James Memorial Library and the dentiled cornice supports a pediment containing a sculptured limestone shield upon which stands the letter J in high relief.
The James, Memorial Library is both architecturally and historically important to the Williston community. The subdued Beaux Arts Classical theme of the structure provides a measure of artistic and architectural diversity to the community, and the richly finished though highly functional interior spaces have been a major center of culture and entertainment in the community since 1911. For some time after its construction the building served as the site for public meetings, banquets, receptions, and other social events, as well as one of the finer libraries of western North Dakota.
The Library was built by Arthur Curtiss James as a memorial to his father, D. Willis James. The elder James had been a major stockholder in the Great Northern Railway, and President James J. Hill of the Great Northern had named Williston in his honor. The Civic League of Williston had long attempted to interest the City Council in securing a Carnegie Library for the city but had failed in these efforts. On the suggestion of James J. Hill, the Civic League approached the younger James with a proposal to construct a public library as a memorial to his father. Arthur James then provided funds for the purchase of land, construction and furnishing of the building, and purchase of books, with the provision that a permanent maintenance fund would be established by the community.
The James Memorial Library continues to stand not only as an artistic and architectural contribution to the Williston community, but also as a monument to the role of the James family in the history of the city and the dedication to cultural and educational advancement of the community itself.
Also see . . .
1. James Memorial Library (Wikipedia).
Excerpt: The James Memorial Library was built in 1911 in Beaux Arts style. The building is now home to the James Memorial Art Center. The Center includes an art gallery for exhibits of local, regional and international art in all media. An additional gallery is used for exhibitions, performances, meetings and receptions. There is an auditorium with a theatre, and a classroom for art classes for adults and children.(Submitted on December 27, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Library Philanthropy in North Dakota During the Carnegie Era.
(By Lauren L. McCroskey) Excerpt: This endowment was first suggested by Great Northern Railway magnate James J. Hill as a tribute to his friend and former associate, Daniel Willis James. Hill himself had earlier made a lavish donation to the Minneapolis library that bears his name. At Hill's urging, Arthur Curtiss James agreed to build the library in memory of his father.(Submitted on December 27, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
The establishment of the James Memorial Library is an instance in which a private bequest took over a library project after an application was turned down by the Carnegie Corporation. When the Corporation denied a library request, communities often appealed to a local philanthropist to provide a building; commonly, a local endowment would succeed a failed attempt to secure a Carnegie grant. Carnegie hoped that by denying monies, wealthy patrons would come forward with their own gift. He justified such decisions as a part of his goal to target truly needy communities that lacked potential benefactors.
3. James Memorial Preservation Society, Ltd.
Excerpt: James Memorial Preservation Society Ltd is a non-profit organization located in Williston, North Dakota. The society was founded in 1978 with the aim of preserving and restoring the James Memorial Library building, which was constructed in 1908 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Over the years, the James Memorial Preservation Society Ltd has worked tirelessly to restore and maintain the building, which now serves as a community center for various cultural and educational events. The society organizes many fund-raising events and programs to support the preservation of the building.(Submitted on December 27, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
The James Memorial Library building is a beautiful example of Beaux-Arts architecture, featuring a grand entrance, marble columns, and ornate details. The building houses a variety of historical artifacts, including a rare collection of Native American artifacts, photographs, and books.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2025. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 27, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.


