Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tanner in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Oakland United Methodist Church

 
 
Oakland United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, August 3, 2009
1. Oakland United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Generations of African~American families have worshiped here, beginning with services held under a brush arbor prior to the Civil War. In August of 1879, the land for the Oakland Methodist church was deeded to parishioners. In a wooden one-room building, they worshiped and operated their own private school, serving the surrounding communities and producing a number of ministers and educators. The Limestone County Board of Education took charge of the school in 1929 until it closed at the end of the 1952 school year. After the original structure was destroyed by a tornado, the Oakland Methodist Episcopal church - which became the Oakland United Methodist Church in 1972~was rebuilt. Renovations to the structure were completed in 1990.
 
Erected by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
 
Location. 34° 39.478′ N, 86° 57.007′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Tanner, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of Bee Line Highway (U.S. 31) and Thomas L Hammonds Road, on the right when traveling north on Bee Line Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tanner AL 35671, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Southeast Air Forces Training Center (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gen. N.B. Forrest, C.S.A. (approx. 1.1 miles away); Harris-Pryor House (approx. 1˝ miles away); Gen. Jos. Wheeler (approx. 3 miles away); Burleson House (circa 1836) (approx. 3˝ miles away); “a place of importance” - Union Leadership at Decatur (approx. 3˝ miles away); Packed with People (approx. 3˝ miles away); Fight For Survival (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tanner.
 
Oakland United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ken Smith, April 7, 2012
2. Oakland United Methodist Church Marker
Oakland United Methodist Church Sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, August 3, 2009
3. Oakland United Methodist Church Sign
Oakland United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, August 3, 2009
4. Oakland United Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 1,615 times since then and 130 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 25, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.   2. submitted on April 22, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee.   3, 4. submitted on March 25, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29094

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024