Moncks Corner in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dixie Training School / Berkeley Training High School
Berkeley Training High School, first called Dixie Training School, stood here from 1920 until the 1980s. The first public school for blacks in Moncks Corner was founded in 1880. It held classes in local churches until its first school was built in 1900. The three-room school built here 1918-1920 at a cost of $6,700 was one of almost 500 in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation 1917-1932.
Rev. James Van Wright led a local effort to fund and build the school, with its slogan “A Dollar or A Day.” Rev. Harleston, the first principal, was succeeded in 1921 by R.A. Ready (d. 1952), principal for 29 years. The school, at first including grades 1-11, became Berkeley Training High School in the 1930s. It moved into a new school on U.S. Hwy. 17 in 1955 and closed in 1970 when county schools desegregated.
Erected 2006 by the Alumni and Friends of Berkeley Training High School. (Marker Number 8-39.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fairlawn Plantation / Fort Fairlawn (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rembert C. Dennis Boulevard (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stony Landing Plantation (approx. 0.4 miles away); Berkeley Training High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Moncks Corner (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Site of Moncks Corner (approx. 0.9 miles away); “Sojer Grave” (approx. 1.1 miles away); Santee Canal (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moncks Corner.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
More. Search the internet for Dixie Training School / Berkeley Training High School.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,210 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on December 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.