Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Findlay in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Hancock County Courthouse

 
 
Hancock County Courthouse Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
1. Hancock County Courthouse Marker (Side A)
Inscription.  
Hancock County was organized March, 1828, court being held in a log schoolhouse. In 1833, a frame courthouse was built. It served until 1840, when a brick structure went up on this site. During the oil and gas boom of the 1880's, the present courthouse was erected at a cost of $305,272, and dedicated Oct. 27, 1888.

June 5, 1885, County Commrs. C.S. Kelley, J.M. Moorhead and A.S. Beck, together with G.W. Galloway, G.W. Myers, Lemuel McManness and Presley Hay approved plans for the third Hancock County courthouse. W.H. Campfield & Son were contractors; Weary & Cramer, architects. Justice, Law and Mercy are the statutory group. The 16-ft. statue of John Hancock stands 130 ft. above ground.
 
Erected 1979 by Historic Preservation Guild and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-32.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
 
Location. 41° 

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2.335′ N, 83° 39.028′ W. Marker is in Findlay, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Ohio Route 12) and Main Cross Street (Ohio Route 12), on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 S Main Street, Findlay OH 45840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. War Savings Stamps (a few steps from this marker); Outstanding New Building, 1978 - 1979 (within shouting distance of this marker); Outstanding Renovated Building, 1980 - 1986 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Underground Railroad in Hancock County (within shouting distance of this marker); Hancock County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ohio Oil Co - Marathon Oil Co / Gas Boom Era (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Fort Findlay (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Findlay.
 
Also see . . .
1. Hancock County Offices. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. About Hancock County. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. 1888 History of Hancock County. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Hancock County Courthouse Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
2. Hancock County Courthouse Marker (Side B)
 
Hancock County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
3. Hancock County Courthouse and Marker
Hancock County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
4. Hancock County Courthouse
Looking SW. Statue of John Hancock above clock tower.
Hancock County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
5. Hancock County Courthouse and Marker
Looking SW.
Corner Stone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, May 27, 2020
6. Corner Stone
Cornerstone on the Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, May 27, 2020
7. Cornerstone on the Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,279 times since then and 138 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   6, 7. submitted on January 28, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29175

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024