Fort Dodge in Webster County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fort Dodge
Established 1850
Major Samuel Woods was Commandant with Major Lewis A. Armistead (of Gettysburg fame) second in command. There were usually between 60 and 70 soldiers garrisoned at the fort. Major Woods kept about a third of them on patrol at any one time. The troops were kept busy constructing buildings (21 in all), hunting game and tending to crops and livestock. The monotony of military post life was broken by an active theater group.
In June of 1851 the post name was changed to Fort Dodge in honor of General Henry Dodge and his son Augustus Caesar Dodge.
Major Woods and his men were charged with policing an area from the Cedar River in the east to the Missouri River in the west; the Boone River Fork in the south and north to the Minnesota border.
The map above is from the original plat of the town of Fort Dodge drawn by founder Major William Williams in 1854. The soldiers in the drawing (done by William Williams in 1852) are parading near what later became the City Square. A line of buildings formed the fort along the north side of what was originally named Williams Street.
William Williams named this watercolor "James Trading with the Indians". Williams' son James is shown trading with Umpashota (Smoky Day). Wahkonsa (Umpashota's son) is sitting next to his little sister while their mother prepares a meal. James' many pets all had names: Smoke the greyhound - Billy the pole climbing raccoon - Prairie Flower the fawn
Design By: Alan Foster Nelson
You are standing very near where the soldiers' barracks were built. It was the first building constructed at the fort. After the troops left it became a public house - the Wahkonsa House, then the Wahkonsa Inn and the first Wahkonsa Hotel. It is shown here in its later years.
Major William Williams arrived with the 6th Infantry in 1850 as a civilian sutler (store keeper). He was born December 6, 1796, in Pennsylvania where he had earned the rank "Major" in the state militia. He purchased the abandoned fort property from the State of Iowa, surveyed and platted the town - he was instrumental in bringing a land office here and in moving the county seat from Homer.
Two governors authorized him to tend to Indian affairs in Northwest and North-Central Iowa.
Major Williams was unanimously elected to lead the Spirit Lake Massacre Relief Expedition in 1857. He was 60 years old at the time.
The first Postmaster and Mayor of Fort Dodge, Williams was a community leader and promoter of the town he founded until the day he died - February 26, 1874.
Map:
Theater
was at the "foot" of Williams Street
Four cabins for soldiers with families & wives who were laundresses
Not Known
Commissary
Carpenter Shop, Laundry
Quartermaster & Sergeant's Office
Blacksmith Coal House
Hospital
Temperance Hall & Church
Bake House
Barracks (You Are Here)
Guard House
Adjudant & Company Office
Surgeon
Lt. James L. Corley, Lt. John Tubbs
Major Lewis A. Armistead
Major Samuel Woods (Commandant)
William Williams (Civilian Sutler)
Civilian Blacksmith House
Major William Williams' Sutler Store
Erected by Fort Dodge Community Foundation, Ann Smeltzer Charitable Trust, State Historical Society of Iowa - REAP/HRDP.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is August 29, 1850.
Location. 42° 30.329′ N, 94° 11.577′ W. Marker is in Fort Dodge, Iowa, in Webster County. It is at the intersection of 1st Avenue North and North 4th Street, on the right when traveling west on 1st Avenue North. Located at the former Wahkonsa School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 330 1st Ave N, Fort Dodge IA 50501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture and also the Louisiana Purchase.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Site of the Military Post (here, next to this marker); First Brick Building in Fort Dodge (within shouting distance of this marker); Webster County Courthouse (approx. Ό mile away); Fort Dodge City Hall, Police & Fire Department (approx. Ό mile away); The Fort Dodge Post Office and Federal Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Vincent House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Adeline M. Swain (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jonathan P. Dolliver (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Dodge.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2026. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2026. This page has been viewed 108 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 16, 2026.

