Near Shiner in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Menger School
The Menger School represents one of many rural public schools that operated in Lavaca County around the turn of the 20th century. On August 19, 1898, Charles and Minna Mender sold a one-acre parcel of land to the Menger School Trustees. The school needed a building, so donations were taken up and locals volunteered their time constructing the one-room schoolhouse. In total, construction cost $400. The students used homemade benches and desks that were about seven feet long and seated four or five pupils. A lawyer from Hallettsville, Charles Fertsch (1879 1951), taught the first two years. The school opened with 49 students. In 1916, Menger School received $200 in state aid, which paid for new desks for the teacher and students, chairs and other equipment. Agnes Kavanagh started school library through donations in 1921, growth necessitated adding another classroom and teacher.
The school excelled in many ways. Menger students competed in county meets for academics, volleyball and track and field. 4-H Clubs for both boys and girls were a popular pastime. The school also hosted drama productions and a Christmas program. A forerunner to the PTA, the Home and School Circle Club, supported the school. The Club participated in community fundraisers, with the community rising to the occasion to support the school ever time. Despite the school continuing to thrive, in 1949, the school was closed in order to consolidate with Shiner Independent School District, per new state laws. The building was later moved to Shiner and served as the cafeteria for the Shiner Public School. For many decades, the Menger School was a joy and a centerpiece for the rural community.
Erected 2022 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 23568.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is August 19, 1898.
Location. 29° 24.812′ N, 97° 13.636′ W. Marker is near Shiner, Texas, in Lavaca County. It is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 533 and County Road 340, on the left when traveling west on Road 533. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 348 FM533, Shiner TX 77984, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American South and on the Gulf Coast. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Herder Half Moon Place (approx. 1½ miles away); Half Moon (approx. 2.3 miles away); Shiner Brethren Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Shiner Brethren Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Cotton Industry in Shiner (approx. 3.4 miles away); Shiner (approx. 3½ miles away); Scrap Iron Drive (approx. 3½ miles away); Shiner, Texas (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shiner.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2026. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2026, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 18, 2026, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. • James Hulse was the editor who published this page.


