Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bowling Green in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Wood County Infirmary

1869 - 1971

 
 
Wood County Infirmary Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
1. Wood County Infirmary Marker
Inscription.  
The Infirmary, also known as the poorhouse or simply "The Home," is one of the last county poorhouse sites in Ohio where nearly all of the original structures still stand. The main building, constructed in 1868 with outbuildings added over the years, served as home for the county's poor, sick, orphaned, elderly, and mentally ill. The Lunatic House was added in 1885 as a facility for the violently insane. The Infirmary operated as a self-sufficient farm where residents contributed according to their ability. Throughout its 102 years of service, the Infirmary had an average population of eighty residents, swelling to over 140 during the Great Depression of the 1930s. The site closed as a poorhouse in 1971 but reopened in 1975 as the Wood County Historical Center and Museum. The Wood County Infirmary was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
 
Erected 2000 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Wood County Historical Center and Museum, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 11-87.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
topic lists: AgricultureCharity & Public WorkNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
 
Location. 41° 21.05′ N, 83° 36.988′ W. Marker is near Bowling Green, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is on the Infirmary grounds, between the main building and the parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13660 County Home Road (Township Road 172), Bowling Green OH 43403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brandeberry Wall (a few steps from this marker); Construction Of Buildings (a few steps from this marker); The Wood County Museum (a few steps from this marker); Lunatic Asylum 1885 (a few steps from this marker); Pest House (within shouting distance of this marker); Pestilence House 1933 (within shouting distance of this marker); Hog Barn, 1913 (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Wood County Museum (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowling Green.
 
Wood County Infirmary NRHP Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, November 12, 2021
2. Wood County Infirmary NRHP Marker
Wood County Infirmary and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
3. Wood County Infirmary and Marker
Wood County Infirmary image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., March 13, 2010
4. Wood County Infirmary
Wood County Home Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, October 17, 2019
5. Wood County Home Cemetery
Names of individuals buried in the cemetery are listed.
Wood County Home Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, October 17, 2019
6. Wood County Home Cemetery
Names of individuals buried in the cemetery are listed.
Wood County Home Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, October 17, 2019
7. Wood County Home Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,188 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   2. submitted on November 12, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio.   3, 4. submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   5, 6, 7. submitted on December 23, 2020, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29188

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2024