Oaks Historic District in Beaumont in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
C. Homer and Edith Fuller Chambers Home
Inscription.
This home connects two major early Beaumont industries: lumber and
oil. William Hardee Turner (1869-1933) and his wife, Florence (Stovall)
Turner (1877-1936), built the house in 1907. It is highly likely that the pine
lumber used came from the local Turner & Nabers Company, of which
Hardee Turner was the principal owner. In 1914, the Turners sold their
home to Charles Homer Chambers (1878-1952) and Edith (Fuller)
Chambers (1877-1964). Their family included two daughters, Jennie Ruth
(1902-1989) and Florence (1912-2004). Born in Luling, Homer found early
success in the hardware business and came to Beaumont to participate
in the oil boom. From 1930-1934, he served on the Beaumont City Council.
In 1935, he and business partner C.D. Edwards founded the Chambers
and Edwards Oil Company. Ruth received a Bachelor of Arts Degree
from Randolph-Macon Women's College in 1923; Florence graduated in
1933 with a Bachelor of Arts from Southwestern University. After
contributing to the war effort, the sisters enjoyed hobbies such as
gardening and genealogy, becoming active in the Daughters of the
American Revolution. The
sisters never married, and Florence
resided in the Chambers home until 2002. Before Florence passed, she
established the C. Homer and Edith Fuller Chambers Foundation.
In 1924, extensive remodeling took place in Neoclassical style. This included a two-story addition with a sun parlor on the first floor and a sleeping porch on the second. On the front faηade, four large Doric columns were added. The roof was extended and a triangular pediment was added. On the second floor, a bathroom was added above the butler's pantry. Most of the interiors received an upgrade at this time and thereafter were never modernized. The sisters never brought air conditioning or a television into the home. Today, the home is a historical snapshot of 1920s Beaumont.
Erected 2021 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 23298.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 30° 5.157′ N, 94° 7.156′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, Texas, in Jefferson County. It is in
the Oaks Historic District. It is on Calder Avenue east of 7th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2240 Calder Ave, Beaumont TX 77701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Texas’ Golden Triangle. It is also in the American South, on the Gulf Coast, and in the Piney Woods. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: McFaddin-Ward House (approx. Ό mile away); Texas' First Rice Mill (approx. half a mile away); Dr. Charles F. L. N. Graham (approx. 0.8 miles away); Congregation Temple Emanuel (approx. 0.8 miles away); Beaumont (approx. 0.8 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); F/RF-101 Voodoo (approx. 0.8 miles away); Holmes Duke House (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaumont.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2026. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2026, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Last updated on January 24, 2026, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2026, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. • James Hulse was the editor who published this page.

