Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Central in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Central Consolidated School

 
 
Central Consolidated School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, March 28, 2010
1. Central Consolidated School Marker
Inscription.  This school traces its origin to five small schools in the Pollok-Central area; Union, Durant, Pollok, Clawson, and Allentown. An effort to solve the problem of inadequate funding for each of these rural schools led to their consolidation in 1929 as the Central Consolidated Common School District.

A new brick building at this site greeted approximately 200 students in grades one through eleven when it opened in September 1929. With J.W. Dunn presiding as superintendent, Central Consolidated boasted nine teachers and had eight students in its first graduating class.

Over the years, Central Consolidated became the focal point of the community. Its growth led to the construction of separate buildings for primary, elementary, junior high and high school classes, three gymnasiums, a cafetorium, and technology and agricultural buildings. Additional schools, including Cordaway Springs and Simpson, merged with Central Consolidated in 1939-40. In 1955, Central converted from a common school district to an independent school district.

Providing a strong educational foundation and extracurricular activities for students in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the northwestern part of Angelina County, Central Consolidated has played a significant role in the county's educational history.
 
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12780.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1929.
 
Location. 31° 25.709′ N, 94° 48.696′ W. Marker is in Central, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on U.S. 69, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7622 US 69N, Pollok TX 75969, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gann Memorial Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Pollok Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Pollok Baptist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Vicente Micheli (approx. 5.2 miles away); Don Joaquin / Procella Crossing (approx. 5.2 miles away); Redland Baptist Church (approx. 5½ miles away); Charles "Charlie" Wilson (approx. 5.7 miles away); Walker Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away).
 
Central Consolidated School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, March 28, 2010
2. Central Consolidated School Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,768 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29237

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024