Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dodd's Creek Bridge
The Coryell County Commissioners Court contracted with the Berlin Iron Bridge Company to build four lenticular truss bridges for $16,500 in 1889. This bridge originally was located across Cowhouse Creek and later was moved to Dodd's Creek.
In 1990 the Texas Historical Commission and the Texas Department of Transportation identified eight lenticular truss bridges surviving in Texas. Four of the spans were located in San Antonio; the other four were positioned on out-of-service
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11722.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
Location. 30° 56.873′ N, 97° 32.204′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on N Main St, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salado TX 76571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Wellborn Barton (a few steps from this marker); Norton-Orgain House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Armstrong-Adams House (about 400 feet away); Old Anderson Place (about 600 feet away); Salado Church of Christ Home of Orville Thomas Tyler (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Salado (approx. ¼ mile away); The Davis Mill (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salado.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,560 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?