Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Salado Church of Christ
Founded in March 1859, this congregation first met in a brush arbor on the north bank of Salado Creek. The first two elders were James Anderson and J.W. Vickrey, both of whom were instrumental in the organization of Salado College. A frame sanctuary, erected on North Main Street in 1875, was destroyed by fire in 1908. A second frame structure served the congregation until 1961, when it was replaced by a brick sanctuary. A new building was erected in 1988. This church has served the people of Salado for over a century.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4492.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1859.
Location. 30° 56.999′ N, 97° 32.243′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on Stagecoach Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 Stagecoach Rd, Salado TX 76571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dodd's Creek Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Wellborn Barton (approx. 0.2 miles away); M. H. Denman Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Norton-Orgain House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Armstrong-Adams House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Anderson Place (approx. ¼ mile away); Home of Orville Thomas Tyler (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Salado (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salado.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 845 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and surrounding area in context. • Can you help?