Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
West Salado Cemetery
Located in an area populated by former slaves following the Civil War, this cemetery dates to the 1870s. The earliest documented grave is that of Jozie Fulbright, who died in 1877, although according to local oral tradition there may be earlier unmarked burials. The land was officially deeded by Elijah Sterling Clack Robertson for church, school, and graveyard purposes in 1879. While the community's school and two churches are no longer in existence, the cemetery remains as an important link with the area's early black history.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5761.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1877.
Location. 30° 57.484′ N, 97° 32.181′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on West Village Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salado TX 76571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fowler House (approx. 0.2 miles away); M. H. Denman Cabin (approx. half Salado Church of Christ (approx. 0.6 miles away); Home of Wellborn Barton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dodd's Creek Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); Norton-Orgain House (approx. ¾ mile away); Armstrong-Adams House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Anderson Place (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salado.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,035 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.