New Kent in New Kent County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Wilson House: Witness to Three Centuries
The house did not remain in one family. It was sold about 1837, again about 1860, by court order in 1896, and also in 1917, 1948, and 1951. Today, it is somewhat arbitrarily called the Wilson House after John E. Wilson and his wife Thelma Crump Wilson, who owned the property from 1951 to 1974. Crump family members remain part owners today through New Kent Courthouse Village, LLC.
Erected by New Kent Courthouse Village, LLC.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1810.
Location. 37° 31.006′ N, 76° 58.789′ W. Marker is in New Kent, Virginia, in New Kent County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of New Kent Highway (Virginia Route 249) and Court House Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11861 New Kent Highway, New Kent VA 23124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerA Tale of Three Structures (within shouting distance of this marker); Calvin Coolidge Green, Th.D., Ed.D., Ph.D. (1931-2011) (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Kent School (about 500 feet away); Welcome to New Kent (about 500 feet away); John Parke Custis / Martha Dandridge (about 500 feet away); Martha Washington's Birthplace (about 500 feet away); Samuel Wilson Crump (1919-1995) (about 600 feet away); James Lafayette (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Kent.
More about this marker. On the lower right is a photo with the caption, "Inez Crump and Thelma Crump Wilson in front of Wilson house"
Regarding The Wilson House: Witness to Three Centuries. The Wilson House has been converted into a restaurant as part of Preservation Park, a new development at New Kent's county seat which adapts historic structures for current use.
Also see . . .
1. Rose & Crown Restaurant. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
2. Preservation Park, New Kent Courthouse Village. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,764 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.