Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Prize of War
Harpers Ferry was much sought by North and South, 1861-1865. Its garrison of 12,000 Union troops was captured by an army of Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson, Sept. 15, 1862, on way to join Lee at Antietam. The Catholic Church was used as Federal hospital.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 15, 1960.
Location. 39° 19.528′ N, 77° 44.305′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street (Business U.S. 340) and Gilmore Street, on the right when traveling west on Washington Street. Located across the street from the Harpers Ferry Bandstand. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Harpers Ferry Bandstand (a few steps from this marker); Morrell House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harpers Ferry / John Brown’s Fort (about 600 feet away); The Appalachian Trail and Benton MacKaye The Niagara Movement (about 700 feet away); Virginia Lodge No. 1 (about 700 feet away); Storer College Veterans Memorial Gate (about 700 feet away); Foundations of Freedom (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
Also see . . .
1. The 1862 Battle of Harpers Ferry. Harpers Ferry National Historical Park website entry (Submitted on October 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. History of St. Peter's Catholic Church & School, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. Historical Archaeology in Harpers Ferry website entry (Submitted on February 2, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,323 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.