Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Belton in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Little River Fort

 
 
Little River Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, February 2, 2008
1. Little River Fort Marker
Inscription.  A stockade and blockhouse of the Republic of Texas. Built in November, 1836, by a unit of some 20 Rangers under Lt. George B. Erath (soldier-statesman for whom Erath County was named).

By Christmas they had erected 7 or 8 cabins, a blockhouse and a picket stockade, which enclosed about 1/2 acre of land. A spring nearby supplied water. Rations included an ear of corn daily, game, honey and a little coffee.

The Rangers withdrew about May, 1837. Later the fort was used by settlers, hunters and adventurers. The remains of the structures were removed, 1840's.
 
Erected 1969 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3100.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
 
Location. 31° 0.229′ N, 97° 29.501′ W. Marker is near Belton, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on I-35 Frontage Rd, on the right when traveling south. In road side park just north of Lampasas River bridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belton TX 76513, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, measured as the crow flies. Bell County (a few steps from this marker); Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Planing Mill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wilson Van Dyke (approx. 1.1 miles away); Muehlhause House (approx. 3.6 miles away); Confederate Bell County (approx. 3.7 miles away); South Belton Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Mrs. Sarah Ann Hardin-Kelton (approx. 3.7 miles away); Belton Farmers Co-op Gin (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belton.
 
Little River Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, February 2, 2008
2. Little River Fort Marker
Little River Fort and Bell County Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jeff Leichsenring, December 5, 2022
3. Little River Fort and Bell County Markers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,784 times since then and 129 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 31, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   3. submitted on December 18, 2022, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29378

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2024