Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
College of Arts and Sciences
— Erected: 1888, Reconstructed: 20002 —
Tuomey's survey resulted in the landmark 1849 geological map of Alabama and his work began the Geological Survey of Alabama.
Tuomey Hall originally housed the University of Alabama's chemistry laboratories and offices for the Geological Survey. From 1926 to 1999, it housed the University's Army Reserve Officer Training Corps program.
On April 27, 2002, rededicated as a Blount Undergraduate Initiative Academic House.
Barganier Davis Sims Architects Associated, Architect Billy E. Burnett, Inc., General Contractor.
Erected by University of Alabama.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Science & Medicine. A significant historical date for this entry is April 27, 2002.
Location. 33° 12.703′ N, 87° 32.704′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker can be reached from Capstone Drive west of 6th Avenue. Building #1199, Tuomey Hall is located on the Campus of Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35487, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shockly’s Escort Company Of Cavalry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Storrs Cadet Troop (about 300 feet away); Amelia Gayle Gorgas (about 300 feet away); Smith Hall, 1908 (about 300 feet away); Rotunda Plaza (about 400 feet away); University of Alabama Civil War Memorial (about 400 feet away); The Little Round House (about 400 feet away); Oliver-Barnard Hall (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,092 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.