Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lohmühle in Schnaittach in Nürnberger Land, Bavaria, Germany — Central Europe
 

Zum Bergschmied

Schnaittacher Geschichtsweg

⎯⎯⎯
At the Mountain Blacksmith

Schnaittach Historical Trail

 
 
Zum Bergschmied / At the Mountain Blacksmith Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, February 24, 2026
1. Zum Bergschmied / At the Mountain Blacksmith Marker
Inscription.  
German:
Der Name ist auf die Tatsache zurückzuführen, dass zwischen 1642 und 1874 von den jeweiligen Besitzern das Schmiedehandwerk ausgeübt wurde.

1734 heißt der Besitzer Friedrich Kugler. Er ist der Schöpfer der Schmiedeeisengitter in der Schnaittacher Synagoge. Sie umgaben zunächst bis 1858 das Vorlesepult, dann wurden sie in die Mauerdurchbrüche zwischen Frauen- und Männersynagoge eingesetzt.

1782 erwirbt der Schmiedemeister Lorenz Löhr das Anwesen, das bis zum Jahr 1904 im Besitz seiner Nachkommen verbleibt. 1829 folgt ihm sein Sohn Wolfgang Löhr, Schmiedemeister und Gastwirt. 1874 gibt Ludwig Löhr die Schmiede auf und macht das Gasthaus zu einem der angesehensten in Schnaittach. 1904 verkauft er seinen Besitz an die Nürnberger Brauerei Held, weil er keine Nachkommen hat, und verbringt seinen Lebensabend zusammen mit seiner Frau als Privatier im Haus Nürnberger Straße 17. Zwischen 1904 und 1934 wechseln die Besitzer zwölfmal. Von 1934 bis 1943 hat das Anwesen die Erich-Bräu in Erlangen. 1943 wird der Gasthof aufgegeben.

Vor ein paar Jahren rettete eine mustergültige Generalsanierung das historisch wertvolle Gebäude vor dem bereits weit fortgeschrittenen Verfall.

Postkarte um 1939 Heimatmuseum

English Translation:
The name derives from the fact that between 1642 and 1874 the respective owners practiced the blacksmith’s trade. In 1734 the owner is named Friedrich Kugler. He created the wrought-iron grilles in the Schnaittach synagogue. Until 1858 they originally surrounded the reading lectern; later they were installed in the wall openings between the women’s and men’s sections of the synagogue.

In 1782 the master blacksmith Lorenz Löhr acquired the property, which remained in the possession of his descendants until 1904. In 1829 he was succeeded by his son Wolfgang Löhr, master blacksmith and innkeeper. In 1874 Ludwig Löhr gave up the blacksmith’s shop and developed the inn into one of the most respected in Schnaittach. In 1904 he sold the property to the Nuremberg brewery Held because he had no descendants and spent his retirement with his wife as a private citizen at Nürnberger Straße 17. Between 1904 and 1934 the property changed hands twelve times. From 1934 to 1943 it belonged to Erich-Bräu in Erlangen. In 1943 the inn was closed.

A few years ago, an exemplary comprehensive renovation saved the historically valuable building from already advanced decay.

Postcard, around 1939 Local History Museum
 
Erected 2011
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
by Museum and Historical Society of Schnaittach (registered association). (Marker Number 7.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1642.
 
Location. 49° 33.521′ N, 11° 20.487′ E. Marker is in Schnaittach, Bayern (Bavaria), in Nürnberger Land. It is in Lohmühle. It is at the intersection of Birkensteingasse and Brauhausgasse on Birkensteingasse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Birkensteingasse 2, Schnaittach BY 91220, Germany. Touch for directions.

Regionally, it is in Europe, the European Union, Atlantic Europe, Central Europe, the Schengen Area, Western Europe, and the Western World. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Holy Roman Empire.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Die Alte Badstube / The Old Bathhouse (a few steps from this marker); Das Kommunbrauhaus / The Communal Brewery (a few steps from this marker); Der Sternwirt / The Star Innkeeper (within shouting distance of this marker); Zum Blauen Löwen / At the Blue Lion (within shouting
Zum Bergschmied / At the Mountain Blacksmith Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, February 24, 2026
2. Zum Bergschmied / At the Mountain Blacksmith Marker
The view of the marker along the alley.
distance of this marker); Dina Freimann (within shouting distance of this marker); Flora Altbater (within shouting distance of this marker); Simon Freimann (within shouting distance of this marker); Die Museen / The Museums (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Schnaittach.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2026. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 2, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.
m=294385

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 24, 2026