Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lohmühle in Schnaittach in Nürnberger Land, Bavaria, Germany — Central Europe
 

Die Museen

Schnaittacher Geschichtsweg

⎯⎯⎯
The Museums

Schnaittach Historical Trail

 
 
Die Museen / The Museums Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, February 24, 2026
1. Die Museen / The Museums Marker
Inscription.  
German:
Nachdem im 15. Jahrhundert in Schnaittach eine jüdische Gemeinde entstanden war, wurde 100 Jahre später auf dem sogenannten Birkenstein eine Synagoge erbaut. Die hebräischen Schriftzeichen an der westlichen Außenwand verweisen auf das Jahr 1570 christlicher Zeitrechnung.

Im Jahre 1687 wurde an der nördlichen Giebelwand zunächst das „Vorsängerhaus“ und daran anschließend das „Rabbinerhaus“ angebaut. Das Vorsängerhaus beherbergte neben den Wohnräumen ein Ritualbad (Mikwe) im Keller, auf dem Dachboden eine „Laubhütte“ und im ersten Stock das Sitzungszimmer der jüdischen Gemeindevertreter.

1735/36 wurde an die südliche Giebelwand der Synagoge ein Betraum für die Frauen angebaut. Im gleichen Jahr hat man die Synagoge nach Osten hin um etwa die halbe Länge erweitert. Damals betrug der Anteil der jüdischen Bevölkerung an der Gesamtbevölkerung von Schnaittach etwa 20 %.
Nach den Ereignissen der Pogromnacht vom 9. zum 10. November 1938 hat der Museumsgründer, Hafnermeister und Heimatforscher Gottfried Stammler im Auftrag des damaligen Schnaittacher Bürgermeisters in den jüdischen Kultusgebäuden ein Heimatmuseum eingerichtet, dessen Eröffnung am 30. April 1949 erfolgte.

Seit 1998 teilen sich Heimatmuseum und Jüdisches Museum Franken die von Grund auf renovierten Räume.

Foto R. Uibl 1939, Gemeindearchiv

English Translation:
After a Jewish community had developed in Schnaittach in the 15th century, a synagogue was built about 100 years later on the so-called Birkenstein. The Hebrew inscription on the western outer wall refers to the year 1570 in the Christian calendar.

In 1687, first the “cantor’s house” and then the “rabbi’s house” were added to the northern gable wall. In addition to living quarters, the cantor’s house contained a ritual bath (mikveh) in the cellar, a “booth” (sukkah) in the attic, and on the first floor the meeting room of the Jewish community representatives.

In 1735/36, a prayer room for women was added to the southern gable wall of the synagogue. In the same year, the synagogue was extended eastward by approximately half its length. At that time, the Jewish population made up about 20% of the total population of Schnaittach.

After the events of the pogrom night of November 9–10, 1938, the museum founder, master potter and local historian Gottfried Stammler, on behalf of the then mayor of Schnaittach, established a local history museum in the Jewish religious buildings. It opened on April 30, 1949.

Since 1998, the Local History Museum and the Jewish Museum of Franconia have shared the thoroughly renovated premises.

Photo by R. Uibl, 1939, Municipal Archive
 
Erected 2011
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
by Museum and Historical Society of Schnaittach (registered association). (Marker Number 4.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is April 30, 1949.
 
Location. 49° 33.485′ N, 11° 20.471′ E. Marker is in Schnaittach, Bayern (Bavaria), in Nürnberger Land. It is in Lohmühle. It is at the intersection of Museumsgasse and Birkensteingasse, on the left when traveling south on Museumsgasse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Museumsgasse 16, Schnaittach BY 91220, Germany. Touch for directions.

Regionally, it is in Europe, the European Union, Atlantic Europe, Central Europe, the Schengen Area, Western Europe, and the Western World. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Holy Roman Empire.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Paula Gutmann (here, next to this marker); Rabbinerhaus/ Rabbi’s House (here, next to this marker); Moses Gutmann (here, next to this marker); Vorsängerhaus / Cantor’s House (a few steps from this marker); Flora Altbater (a few steps from this marker);
Die Museen / The Museums Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, February 24, 2026
2. Die Museen / The Museums Marker
The view of the marker next to the Jewish Museum.
Synagogue (a few steps from this marker); Das Schnaittacher Heimatmuseum und das Jüdische Museum Franken (within shouting distance of this marker); Frauenschul / Women’s Prayer Room (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Schnaittach.
 
Die Museen / The Museums Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, February 24, 2026
3. Die Museen / The Museums Marker
The view of the museum looking towards the north. The marker is located on the right side of the street towards the end of the street.
Die Museen / The Museums Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, February 24, 2026
4. Die Museen / The Museums Marker
The south end of the museum.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2026. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 2, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.
m=294387

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 25, 2026