Schnaittach in Nürnberger Land, Bavaria, Germany — Central Europe
Synagogue
1570 im Stil mittelalterlicher Synagogen errichtet, 1736 erweitert und 1858 grundlegend renoviert. Die hebräische Inschrift nennt das Erbauungsjahr (5)330 nach dem jüdischen Kalender. In der Nacht vom 9. auf den 10. November 1938 wurde diese Synagoge geschändet und wenig später zu einem Heimatmuseum umgebaut.
Built in 1570 in the style of medieval synagogues, expanded in 1736 and fundamentally renovated in 1858. The Hebrew inscription gives the year of construction as (5)330 according to the Jewish calendar. On the night of November 9 to 10, 1938, this synagogue was desecrated and shortly afterward converted into a local history museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical date for this entry is November 10, 1938.
Location. 49° 33.473′ N, 11° 20.467′ E. Marker is in Schnaittach, Bayern (Bavaria), in Nürnberger Land. It is on Museumsgasse just south of Birkensteingasse, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Museumsgasse 12, Schnaittach BY 91220, Germany. Touch for directions.
Regionally, it is in Europe, the European Union, Atlantic Europe, Central Europe, the Schengen Area, Western Europe, and the Western World. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Holy Roman Empire.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Das Schnaittacher Heimatmuseum und das Jüdische Museum Franken (here, next to this marker); Frauenschul / Women’s Prayer Room (a few steps from this marker); Vorsängerhaus / Cantor’s House (a few steps from this marker); Moses Gutmann (a few steps from this marker); Rabbinerhaus/ Rabbi’s House (a few steps from this marker); Paula Gutmann (a few steps from this marker); Die Museen / The Museums (a few steps from this marker); Flora Altbater (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Schnaittach.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 3, 2026. It was originally submitted on March 2, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 3, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.



