Goose Creek in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. James, Goose Creek
St. James, Goose Creek was one of the first Anglican parishes in the lowcountry, created by the Church Act of 1706. The first church here , built in 1707, was a frame building. This Georgian brick church, covered in stucco, was completed in 1719. Described in 1855 as “a romantically situated ancient church,” it was restored after the Charleston Earthquake of 1886, in 1907, and in 1955.
Exterior features include a hipped roof and a pediment with a relief of a pelican feeding her young, symbol of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, which sent missionaries here from London. Interior features include a tall pulpit, the Royal arms of George I, and a hatchment, or arms, of the Izard family. This church was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1970.
Erected 2007 by the Vestry of the St. James, Goose Creek Church. (Marker Number 8-47.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included National Historic Landmarks series list.
Location. 32° 58.545′ N, 80° 1.983′ W. Marker is in Goose Creek, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Vestry Lane west of Snake River Road (South Carolina Highway S-8-208). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goose Creek SC 29445, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goose Creek Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Yamasee War At Goose Creek, 1715 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Goose Creek Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Oaks (approx. 0.6 miles away); Otranto Plantation (approx. 0.9 miles away); Boochawee Hall (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Elms Plantation (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goose Creek.
1. National Register of Historic Places:
St. James' Church, Goose Creek *** (added 1970 - Building - #70000566)
• Period of Significance: 1700-1749
— Submitted January 21, 2011.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,008 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.