Goose Creek in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Goose Creek Bridge
The first bridge here, in use by 1680, had a raised road at either end and was built from split logs with the flat sides up, covered by sand or clay. Traffic over Goose Creek increased significantly after St. James, Goose Creek Church was built 200 yds. S in 1714-19. By the 1750s the bridge had to be replaced every few years. In 1780 British troops occupying The Oaks Plantation nearby guarded the bridge, a strategic point on the road to and from Charleston.
Erected 2008 by
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 58.85′ N, 80° 1.961′ W. Marker is in Goose Creek, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Old State Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goose Creek SC 29445, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goose Creek Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The Oaks (approx. ¼ mile away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. James, Goose Creek (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Yamasee War At Goose Creek, 1715 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Boochawee Hall (approx. 1.1 miles away); Otranto Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goose Creek.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,797 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.