Greater South River City in Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Walter and Mae Simms House
Austin architect Roger Q. Small designed this unique 1935 home for Walter and Mae (Moore) Simms, who established Simms Fish Market in 1915 and delivered Gulf Coast seafood to hotels and restaurants throughout central Texas for nearly forty years. The simplified Classical Revival style house is a side-gabled rectangular plan residence set into a sloping lot, with Butler brick walls and large multi-light windows. Below the house is an integrated five-bay garage, framed by a rough-cut limestone façade. This incorporation of a garage into the house’s main structure did not become common until after World War II, reflecting the rising influence of automobiles on architecture and urban planning during the early 20th century.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2008
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14486.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1935.
Location. 30° 14.466′ N, 97° 44.63′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 906 Mariposa Drive, Austin TX 78704, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reuter House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Texas Dental Association (approx. 0.3 miles away); Walter Tips House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert S. Stanley House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ollie O. Norwood Estate (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ward Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. ¾ mile away); The Academy (approx. ¾ mile away); Texas School for the Deaf (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Regarding Walter and Mae Simms House. The property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,159 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 5, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A complete, clear, close-up photo of the marker. • A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?