Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greater South River City in Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Academy

 
 
The Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, April 4, 2010
1. The Academy Marker
Inscription.  

This house was constructed in 1889 for Myron D. Mather, president of Austin Water, Light & Power Company, who lived here until 1893. A fine derivative of the Shingle style, the structure is said to be partly constructed of granite left from the 1888 completion of the state Capitol. It was briefly owned by Texas Supreme Court Justice Leroy G. Denman in 1897. As the Austin Military School in the decade after 1920, the house was called “The Academy.”
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14493.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
 
Location. 30° 15.113′ N, 97° 44.646′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Greater South River City. Marker is at the intersection of Academy Drive and Newning Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Academy Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Academy Drive, Austin TX 78704, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
this marker. Texas School for the Deaf (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ollie O. Norwood Estate (approx. 0.4 miles away); The “Austin Statesman” (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the Headquarters of the United States Army for 5th Military District (approx. 0.6 miles away); Grinninger Fence (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert S. Stanley House (approx. 0.6 miles away); National Fish Hatchery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Walter and Mae Simms House (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Regarding The Academy. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
The Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, September 11, 2020
2. The Academy Marker
This photo shows the marker in context.
The Academy image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, April 4, 2010
3. The Academy
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,432 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 5, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on September 11, 2020, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   3. submitted on April 5, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29535

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024