Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Kennard in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hagerville Community

(5 mi. SE)

 
 
Hagerville Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, March 28, 2010
1. Hagerville Community Marker
Inscription.  Kentuckian James Henry Hager (1822-1879) and his wife Naoma (Clark) came to Texas in the 1840s. Hager, a farmer and cabinet maker, opened a blacksmith shop and mill in Houston County. The Nacogdoches-to-Navasota stage and mail road ran beside his log home. Hager's son, James Polk, began a post office in 1891 and named the area "Hagerville". Another son, W.J. (Bill) donated land for a schoolhouse that was used for worship. Many residents moved closer to the sawmills and the post office closed in 1905. Business declined but the community retains its identity.
 
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9464.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable PlacesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list.
 
Location. 31° 22.374′ N, 95° 9.942′ W. Marker is near Kennard, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is on State Highway 7 near County Road 4700, on the right when
Hagerville Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, March 28, 2010
2. Hagerville Community Marker
traveling west. 1.4 miles east of Kennard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kennard TX 75847, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Community of Coltharp (here, next to this marker); Former Rosenwald School (approx. 1.2 miles away); Kennard (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Kennard (approx. 1.3 miles away); Four C Mill (approx. 1 miles away); Ratcliff (approx. 2 miles away); Ratcliff CCC Camp (approx. 2.1 miles away); Pine Springs Campground (approx. 10.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kennard.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 692 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 7, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 5, 2020