Heuchling in Lauf an der Pegnitz in Nürnberger Land, Bavaria, Germany — Central Europe
Glockengießerspital mit St. Leonhardskirche
⎯⎯⎯
Glockengießer Hospital with St. Leonhard’s Church
Inscription.
Gestiftet 1374 von dem Nürnberger Bürger Hermann Kepler, genannt Glockengießer, und dessen Ehefrau Elisabeth, geb. Haid Zerstört im Markgrafenkrieg 1553.
Founded in 1374 by the Nuremberg citizen Hermann Kepler, called Glockengießer, and his wife Elisabeth, née Haid. Destroyed in the Margrave War in 1553.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1374.
Location. 49° 30.666′ N, 11° 16.918′ E. Marker is in Lauf an der Pegnitz, Bayern (Bavaria), in Nürnberger Land. It is in Heuchling. It is at the intersection of Spitalstraße and Alter Schulhof, on the right when traveling east on Spitalstraße. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Spitalstraße 10, Lauf an der Pegnitz BY 91207, Germany. Touch for directions.
Regionally, it is in Europe, the European Union, Atlantic Europe, Central Europe, the Schengen Area, Western Europe, and the Western World. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Holy Roman Empire.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Ehemalige Pfarr- und Spitalkirche St. Leonhard / Former Parish and Hospital Church of St. Leonhard (a few steps from this marker); Kindergarten Alter Schulhof / Kindergarten Old Schoolyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Früheres Forsthaus oder "Einspänn(ig)er-Haus" / Former Forester’s House or Einspänniger House (within shouting distance of this marker); Liebesbriefe aus dem Forsthaus auf der Insel / Love Letters from the Forester’s House on the Island (within shouting distance of this marker); Altes Rathaus / Old Town Hall (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Ehemaliges Kommunbrauhaus / Former Communal Brewhouse (about 90 meters away); Thomas Alva Edison (about 120 meters away); Wassertores / Water Gate (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lauf an der Pegnitz.
Also see . . . Old Town Stroll Sign 08 – St. Leonhard Ruins (German language). Excerpt (in translation):
In connection with the charitable hospital foundation established by Hermann and Elsbeth Kessler, the founders, with the permission of the Bishop of Bamberg, succeeded in founding their own parish of Lauf in 1375, financing the position of a parish priest, and separating it from the mother parish of Neunkirchen am Sand. Simultaneously with the construction of the hospital, the associated parish church of St. Leonhard was built in the same year using timber framing. St. Leonhard was thus not only the hospital church but also Lauf's first independent parish church, alongside the branch church of St. Johannis, referred to as a "capella." In 1382, the timber structure was replaced by the still-visible solid building around which the cemetery was laid out.(Submitted on March 24, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 25, 2026. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 8 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.


