Heuchling in Lauf an der Pegnitz in Nürnberger Land, Bavaria, Germany — Central Europe
Kindergarten Alter Schulhof
⎯⎯⎯
Kindergarten Old Schoolyard
Inscription.
Alter Schulhof
Ältester Kindergarten in Lauf,
einer der ältesten in Bayern.
Dank einer privaten Stiftung von
Anna Dietz 1850 eröffnet.
Seit 1873 öffentliche Stiftung
gemäß eines Vermächtnisses
von Friedrich Eckert.
Kindergarten Old Schoolyard. Oldest kindergarten in Lauf, one of the oldest in Bavaria. Opened in 1850 thanks to a private foundation by Anna Dietz. Since 1873 a public foundation in accordance with a bequest by Friedrich Eckert.
Erected by Old Town Friends of Lauf e.V. (Marker Number 9.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 49° 30.672′ N, 11° 16.948′ E. Marker is in Lauf an der Pegnitz, Bayern (Bavaria), in Nürnberger Land. It is in Heuchling. It is on Alter Schulhof just east of Spitalstraße, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Alter Schulhof 11, Lauf an der Pegnitz BY 91207, Germany. Touch for directions.
Regionally, it is in Europe, the European Union, Atlantic Europe, Central Europe, the Schengen Area, Western Europe, and the Western World. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Holy Roman Empire.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Ehemalige Pfarr- und Spitalkirche St. Leonhard / Former Parish and Hospital Church of St. Leonhard (a few steps from this marker); Glockengießerspital mit St. Leonhardskirche / Glockengießer Hospital with St. Leonhard’s Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Ehemaliges Kommunbrauhaus / Former Communal Brewhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Früheres Forsthaus oder "Einspänn(ig)er-Haus" / Former Forester’s House or Einspänniger House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Liebesbriefe aus dem Forsthaus auf der Insel / Love Letters from the Forester’s House on the Island (about 90 meters away); Altes Rathaus / Old Town Hall (about 120 meters away); Thomas Alva Edison (about 120 meters away); Jan Hus (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lauf an der Pegnitz.
Also see . . . Old Town Stroll Sign 9 – Old Schoolyard (German language). Excerpt
(in translation):
In 1838, Anna Dietz donated 800 guilders with the stipulation that the sum be increased through interest to the point where a kindergarten could be founded. By 1850, this capital, which had grown to 1048 guilders, was used by the second pastor, Neumann, to establish a "children's day care center." This center was located in the rented rear building of the property at Friedensplatz 1.(Submitted on March 24, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Soon, due to the increasing number of children, an expansion became necessary, as children from socially disadvantaged families were also able to attend the kindergarten thanks to a number of socially minded and active citizens of Lauf. For example, in 1871, Friedrich Eckert bequeathed 10,744 guilders in his will for the kindergarten, thus laying the foundation for the public Eckert Foundation, established in 1873.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 25, 2026. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 6 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.


