Bridge to Bridge in Kennewick in Benton County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
Clover Island
Kennewick's Historic Waterfront
Port of Kennewick has long been a champion for engaging with the Columbia River for commerce and recreation.
Founded in 1915, Port of Kennewick was the fifth public port district established in Washington State and the very first in eastern Washington. The port was created to foster commerce and accommodate steamboat traffic through the newly completed Dalles-Celilo Canal; a catalyst project which connected Kennewick, Washington with Portland, Oregon via the Columbia River.
Initially, the Port constructed riverside docks and public warehouses for storage and distribution of trade goodsincluding the Ivy Street terminal, located just east of Clover Island.
In 1941, the Port purchased Clover Island and leased it to Columbia Marine Shipyards for barge and tugboat construction. In 1944, the Winquat (at that time considered to be the most powerful tugboat in the world) was built here on Clover Island; as was the Port of Kennewick, a 175-foot barge.
After the flood of 1948 wiped out Clover Islands shipyards, and after McNary Dam and shoreline levees were built in 1954, the Port connected Clover Island to the mainland, enabling construction of a large public marina for recreational use. The Metz family opened Metz Marina, the regions first full-service public marina, on Clover Island. That marina was purchased by the Port and reconstructed for public use as Clover Island Marina in 2007.
Port of Kennewick continues to manage Clover Island for public benefit (as well as many other properties within the Ports 485-square-mile district). Today, the focus for Clover Island is on public access, environmental stewardship, and urban renewal. The Port added public art, a lighthouse, the Riverwalk, and commercial buildings, with a goal of bringing new vitality to Kennewicks historic waterfront.
[Captions:]
Locals celebrate the opening of the Dalles-Celilo Canal connecting Kennewick with Portland, photos dated 1915
The Port of Kennewick's Ivy Street Terminal expands regional commerce, photo circa 1941
The Winquatt, once considered the world's most powerful tugboat, was built in Clover Island, circa 1944
Following completion of McNary Dam in 1954, Metz Morina and Clover Island Yacht Club were established on Clover Island. Photo, dated 1954, provided by Kay Metz.
Erected 2015
by City of Kennewick.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1915.
Location. 46° 13.034′ N, 119° 6.928′ W. Marker is in Kennewick, Washington, in Benton County. It is in Bridge to Bridge. It can be reached from North Clover Island Drive 0.4 miles north of West Columbia Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 N Clover Island Dr, Kennewick WA 99336, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Washington’s Columbia Basin and in Yakima Valley. It is also in the American Mountain West and in the Lewis & Clark Corridor. Globally, it is in North America, the Pacific Rim, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Call of the River (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The Green Bridge (approx. half a mile away); The Shootout at Poplar Grove (approx. half a mile away); Downtown Kennewick (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Intercity Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); Pasco-Kennewick Old Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kennewick.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2026. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2026, by Clayton Pickett of Richland, Washington. This page has been viewed 24 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2026, by Clayton Pickett of Richland, Washington. • James Hulse was the editor who published this page.

