Tigerton in Shawano County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Tigerton Lumber Company
Founded 1887
The Tigerton Lumber Company was founded in 1887 by Herman R. Swanke and three other men whom Swanke bought out shortly after.
The first mill was located on a site on the South Branch of the Embarrass River about one mile west of Tigerton. When this mill burned in 1891, a new mill was constructed in the Village of Tigerton at the present site. In 1910, the mill was reconstructed again, and in 1967, the present mill was built. The Swanke family owned and operated the mill for over 110 years.
The corporate headquarters are located in Tigerton. New owners purchased the mill in 1998. Purchased by the Ort Family.
A large percentage of the 50,000 acres of the company's forested land is located in Shawano and Waupaca counties.
From the Pineries to the Present Heritage Tourism Area 1998
Erected 1998.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 44° 44.405′ N, 89° 3.666′ W. Marker is in Tigerton, Wisconsin, in Shawano County. It is on Cedar Street (County Road M) just east of Ash Street, on the right when traveling east. The marker is on the north/front facade of the Tigerton Lumber Company building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Cedar Street, Tigerton WI 54486, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Northern Wisconsin. It is also in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Great North Woods, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture and also the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Old Tigerton Village Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away); The Homme Homes (approx. 8.4 miles away); History of Big Falls (approx. 8.6 miles away); Wāpahkoh (approx. 11.7 miles away); Eland Schools (approx. 11.8 miles away); Eland Depot, 1908 (approx. 11.8 miles away); Mohican Veteran's Memorial (approx. 12.2 miles away).
Other markers no longer nearby. Bethany Indian Mission & School (was approx. 8.3 miles away but has been confirmed missing); Chief Waupaca (was approx. 11.7 miles away but has been replaced with another marker now near it).
Also see . . . A Brief History of the Village of Tigerton (Tigertonwi.com).
Excerpt: The first businesses on record to be established in what is now Tigerton were built in about 1880. In 1885, Mr. Herman Swanke, Sr. came to Tigerton and decided to get into the lumber business. He and three others built a mill at the expense of $3,000. This mill would become Tigerton Lumber Company. At this time Tigerton was still a vast wilderness that had only a few settlers. The mill burned down and was rebuilt at an expense of $10,000. Mr. Swanke owned half-interest in Tigerton Lumber Company at this time. He was also interested in two other mills, one at Whitcomb and one at what was called the "Old Mill Dam." He disposed of these two mills in later years and he also bought out the other interests in Tigerton Lumber Company. In 1910, Tigerton Lumber Company was enlarged and remodeled. It has been since been enlarged, remodeled and updated a couple more times throughout the years. Mr. Swanke owned vast timber and land tracts all over the country.(Submitted on April 18, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2026. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 22 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

