Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harmony in Fillmore County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Let's Have "Harmony"

The Biggest Little Town in Southern Minnesota

 
 
Let's Have "Harmony" Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by McGhiever, October 5, 2025
1. Let's Have "Harmony" Marker
Inscription.

Water Tower on Historic Ground
An interesting fact connected with the history of Harmony was brought to light when the Village Council was required by the P.W.A. to procure all necessary titles and transfers to the plot of ground on which is situated the water tower and tank.

This plot of land was originally included in the 160 acres (the northeast part of Harmony), which was granted by the United States Government to one "Ga-Can-We-a-Can" the widow of an Indian who as a member of Captain Pollard's Company, New York Volunteers, served in the War of 1812.

The tract converted to the government, and was purchased in 1860 by Thomas Ryan. The document showing the transfer was signed by President James Buchanan.
(Courtesy of Harmony News - January 1935)

Flax Mill
In 1902 Harmony had a Flax Mill, approximately two blocks east of the depot which was built by William Deering Co. The Flax was converted into twine and the bales were shipped to the International Harvester Co. in Chicago to be made into rope.

The amount of flax waiting to be processed was a site [sic] to behold.

It furnished work for many hands during
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
the winter months.

Overview
This picture shows a great overview of the northeast part of Harmony. You can see the top of the Trogstad building, Bank of Harmony, Gray and Demaray Hardware, two buildings that were torn down and later the Skelly Station was built there, the McCormick Grain Elevator with long building for coal, etc., the Methodist Church in the top right and their parsonage, houses, etc.

Methodist Church
Harmony's first church was the Methodist, built and dedicated in 1895.

Augustus M. Barnes and sons donated the labor in erecting the church, with Herbert Barnes drawing the plans and also designing and making the pulpit.

In 1915 enough funds had been raised to add a basement to the church for meetings, suppers, other special events, and a place for the overflowing Sunday school classes.

The interior of the church was nicely decorated, the wooden chairs were in place of pews but no organ was available to accompany the singing.

Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe
Mahlon Newell started his meat market in 1895. He moved to the Prey building in 1905. The interior of the Newell Meat Market, or Butcher Shop, as it appears
Let's Have "Harmony" Marker facing Main Avenue image. Click for full size.
Photographed by McGhiever, October 5, 2025
2. Let's Have "Harmony" Marker facing Main Avenue
in the photo. Standing by the cash register is Mahlon Newell, proprietor, and sons: Ethan, Quincy (E.D.) and Floyd (Dr.)

This was the time when ice was the only method of refrigeration and ice was cut in Granger. A walk in cooler was where the halves and quarters of beef and pork were hung, later being cut up into roasts, steaks, chops, etc. (Courtesy of Harmony News-"For the Birds" by Dewey Long)

Palm Restaurant
The Prey building was located on north Main Street in 1903. Otto prey [sic] was proprietor of the Palm Restaurant. A large variety of fruits, vegetables and candy were also available for purchase. The building still remains today.

Bluebird Cafι/Tavern
The Bluebird Cafι/Tavern was located on the north side of the large Prey building circa 1930's. You could not miss finding the Bluebird because the front of the building was painted blue.

Johnson Bros. Lumber Co.
The Johnson Bros. (Samuel B. and John A.) opened a lumber yard and farm implement business in 1896 to 1906. It was located south of the first Methodist Church, which can be seen in the background. Peter B. Ramer Lumber and Bee Apiary in 1906, shipped honey
Paid Advertisement
and comb honey by the carload. (Courtesy of Harmony News)

"Pat" Patterson (Skelly)
Pat would welcome his customers with full service and a smile, and he did all this dressed in a white uniform every day. The station was taken down with the grain elevator expansion in 1984. (Sketch Artist: Stan Beatty)

Stan's Bakery
Before it became Stan's Bakery, Buster Teigan had a cafι and candy store there. The kids would buy the candy for one penny.

Stan's Bakery was located on the corner of Main Street and 1st, and they also had a drive-up window. Stanley Jandro operated the bakery for 32 years.
 
Erected 2017 by the Harmony Area Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceReligion & Religious StructuresSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
 
Location. 43° 33.336′ N, 92° 0.605′ W. Marker is in Harmony, Minnesota, in Fillmore County. It is at the intersection of Main Avenue N. (State Highway 139) and 2nd Street NW, on the right when traveling south on Main Avenue N.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Main Avenue N, Harmony MN 55939, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in Southeast Minnesota and in Greater Rochester. It is also in the American Midwest, in the Corn Belt, and in the Driftless Area — Bluff Country. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once Rupert’s Land, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Louisiana Purchase.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: A different marker also named Let's Have "Harmony" (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Let's Have "Harmony" (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Let's Have "Harmony" (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic McMichael Grain Elevator Preservation Project (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Let's Have "Harmony" (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Let's Have "Harmony" (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Let's Have "Harmony" (about 400 feet away); The Heritage of Downtown Preston (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harmony.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2026. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2026, by McGhiever of Minneapolis, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 16 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2026, by McGhiever of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
m=297728

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 4, 2026