James Island in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This four-gun Confederate artillery battery was one of several earthworks built on the southeastern shore of James Island in the summer of 1863. Built between Battery Simkins and Battery Haskell, this battery was named for Capt. Langdon Cheves, an engineer who designed Battery Wagner on Morris Island and who was killed during the Federal assault there on July 10, 1863.
The battery assisted in the defense of James and Morris Islands, and its armament in 1863 was four 8-inch smoothbore naval guns. A magazine explosion on September 15, 1863 killed five men and wounded two. Battery Cheves and the rest of Charleston’s defenses were evacuated February 17, 1865. The battery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Erected 2008 by The South Carolina Battleground Preservation Trust. (Marker Number 10-59.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 44.267′ N, 79° 54.43′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29412, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battery Haskell (approx. 0.7 miles away); Marshlands House (approx. one mile away); Site of Fort Johnson (approx. 1.1 miles away); The First Shot of the War of Secession (approx. 1.1 miles away); Grice Marine Laboratory (approx. 1.1 miles away); Redoubt Number 3 (approx. 2 miles away); Sally Port (approx. 2.1 miles away); Powder Magazine (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in James Island.
Regarding Battery Cheves. Battery Cheves was built in 1863 and named for Capt. Langdon Cheves, Confederate engineer killed at Morris Island in 1863. This battery was designed to protect the area between Fort Johnson and Battery Haskell from amphibious attack coming from Morris Island. Cheves mounted two pieces of heavy artillery at the time of capture. Battery Cheves is located on the southeastern shore of James Island in a suburban residential area. A simple open battery with four gun emplacements, Battery Cheves is about 280 feel long with a parapet 12.5 feet high and a powder magazine about 15 feet high. The total position is approximately 240 feet deep. It is currently completely
Also see . . . Capt Langdon Cheves, Jr. Cheves was solicited to oversee the choosing of the location, the engineering and construction of Battery Wagner. The garrison would become paramount in the defense of Charleston against the land forces.... (Submitted on April 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,612 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.