Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sutter Creek in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Levaggi Opera House

 
 
Levaggi Opera House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
1. Levaggi Opera House Marker
Inscription.  The front building built in 1860. The opera house was built on back in 1892 by John and Michael Levaggi, early pioneers and stone masons from Italy. Bricks used were kilned east of Sutter Creek and hauled to the site by twelve mule team. Amapola Parlor No. 80 N.D.G.W.was instituted here on April 27, 1894. The building served as an opera house for 35 years.
 
Erected 1977 by Amapola Parlor No. 80, Native Daughters of the Golden West.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 27, 1894.
 
Location. 38° 23.606′ N, 120° 48.176′ W. Marker is in Sutter Creek, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Main Street (Old Highway 49) south of Keyes Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 54 Main Street, Sutter Creek CA 95685, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Native Sons Hall (a few steps from this marker); Sutter Creek
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); Brignoli Building (a few steps from this marker); Bellotti Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); William Barker Hubbell (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Carlton Downs (within shouting distance of this marker); Sutter Creek Sanitarium (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Monteverde General Store Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sutter Creek.
 
More about this marker. This building is Stop #40 on The Sutter Creek Walking Tour Brochure available at the Sutter Creek Visitor Center. It states that the information on the marker errs. The two-story front of this building, known as the Klima-Levaggi Building, was actually built in 1888, and the opera house in the rear was added in 1892 and used until 1957. The balcony was added c1980.

When the town incorporated in 1854 Hanford & Downs’ store was located here. It was the town center whose boundaries at the time stretched for a mile in each direction.

Also on this site in c1870 the state’s first mining
Levaggi Opera House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
2. Levaggi Opera House
Marker is viewable between the two large windows to the left of the center balcony support pole
union hall was built.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,181 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29814

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024