Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sutter Creek in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Brignoli Building

1858

 
 
Brignoli Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
1. Brignoli Building Marker
Inscription.  Built of native greenstone by Bartolomeo Brignole for a general store. Operated by his family until 1944.
 
Erected 1969 by Amapola Parlor No. 80 Native Daughters of the Golden West.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1944.
 
Location. 38° 23.61′ N, 120° 48.186′ W. Marker is in Sutter Creek, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Main Street (Old Highway 49) south of Randolph Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 71 Main Street, Sutter Creek CA 95685, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sutter Creek (a few steps from this marker); Levaggi Opera House (a few steps from this marker); Native Sons Hall (a few steps from this marker); Bellotti Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Sutter Creek Sanitarium (within shouting
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
distance of this marker); William Barker Hubbell (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Carlton Downs (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Monteverde General Store Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sutter Creek.
 
Regarding Brignoli Building. The Brignole Buildings are Stop #18 and #18a on the Sutter Creek Walking Tour Brochure available at the Sutter Creek Visitor Center and Museum. The brochure states that the marker errs in its information. Brignole may have built both buildings, but neither in 1858. Brignole bought out countryman Bartolomeo Molinari by 1863 and established his first store next to this site (Now part of the Sutter Creek Inn). In 1866 he bought the two adjoining lots from Wildman and built the stone building. Both buildings were damaged in the 1888 fire.
 
Also see . . .  The Brignoli Building. This buikding features extensive use of native stone and the familiar iron doors and shutters of Gold Rush architecture; it is one of the largest and oldest buildings in Sutter Creek. (Submitted on April 15, 2010.) 
 
Brignoli Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
2. Brignoli Building and Marker
The marker is viewable above the bench in this photo.
Brignoli Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
3. Brignoli Building
Brignoli Buildings image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
4. Brignoli Buildings
Historic Mural on Side of the Smaller Brignole Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
5. Historic Mural on Side of the Smaller Brignole Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,043 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 15, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29818

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024