Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Graham in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Graham College

 
 
Graham College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Patrick G. Jordan, April 15, 2010
1. Graham College Marker
Inscription.  Est. by the Christian Church, 1851, as Graham Institute; forerunner of Elon College. Burned in 1892. Stood 1 blk. west.
 
Erected 1979 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number G-96.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
 
Location. 36° 3.92′ N, 79° 24.035′ W. Marker is in Graham, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street/NC Highway 87 and McAden Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street/NC Highway 87. From Interstate I-85/40. Exit 147 at Graham, North Carolina. Travel north on NC Highway 87 (also called South Main Street) less than one mile. Marker is on the left. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 South Main Street, Graham NC 27253, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kirk-Holden War (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain James W. White House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
line); "Elmhurst" (approx. 0.2 miles away); National Bank of Alamance (approx. ¼ mile away); Graham's First Bank (approx. ¼ mile away); Together We Rise 9/11 Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Alamance County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Alamance County Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graham.
 
Regarding Graham College. Graham College opened in 1851 as a school for male students. Female students were accepted soon after, and John R. Holt served as headmaster.

Also called Graham Academy, the school operated until 1863, when it was closed due to poor fiscal management and the onset of the Civil War.

Other instructors included: Prof. W. H. Dougherty, Dr. William Samuel Long and Rev. Daniel Albright Long, who was William's younger brother.

The school reopened after the war. The name was changed to Graham Normal College in 1881, with Dr. William Samuel Long as headmaster.

The Christian Church leased the building in 1886 and decided to turn it into a four-year school.

Plans were made
Graham College Marker at Intersection image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Patrick G. Jordan, April 15, 2010
2. Graham College Marker at Intersection
to move the school to Mill Point, a small village west of Burlington, North Carolina. Dr. William S. Long received a charter for the new school and Elon College opened in 1889.

There were plans to establish a preparatory school at the site of the original Graham College. Any plans for the building were halted when it was destroyed by fire in 1892.
 
Additional keywords. Graham Normal College, Alamance, John R. Holt, William Samuel Long, Elon University
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,303 times since then and 125 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=29894

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024