Upper Saddle River in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Abraham Hopper built a “new stone house” here (the west wing) in 1739, according to surveyor Charles Clinton. The rest is late 18th century. About 1813 it was bought by the Rev. Stephen Goetschius (1752 – 1837), pastor of Old Stone Church. Borough clerk Stephen J. Goetschius and his wife Lizzie Carlough were the last residents. After over 170 years in the Goetschius family, the house was given to the Borough by Clinton D. and Grace Carlough in 1985.
In National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 1988 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 117.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list.
Location. 41° 3.516′ N, 74° 5.538′ W. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saddle River NJ 07458, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slave Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Saddle River Reformed Church and Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Eckerson House (approx. 1˝ miles away); Saddle River 9 – 11 Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); Saddle River Veterans Monument (approx. 1.9 miles away); Ackerman – Pell House (approx. 2 miles away); Abraham P. Ackerman House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Master Sergeant Charles E. Hosking, Jr. Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Saddle River.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on April 18, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,436 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 18, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.