Old Montreal in Montréal, Québec — Central Canada (French-Canadian)
L'évolution du site comme témoin du quartier
⎯⎯⎯
The Evolution of the site as Witness to Neighbourhood
Inscription.
L'évolution du site comme témoin du quartier
L'espace occupé par l'Hôpital général
L'Hôpital général de Montréal constitue l'un des plus anciens ensembles conventuels encore présents dans le Vieux-Montréal. Délimité aujourd'hui par les rues Saint-Pierre, d'Youville, Normand et la Place d'Youville, il occupe à l'origine un espace beaucoup plus vaste conscrit principalement par le fleuve Saint-Laurent et la rivière Saint-Pierre. S'érigent, au fil des ans, des agrandissements, des bâtiments et des dépendances nécessaires, selon les besoins grandissants de l'Hôpital général dirigé par les Sœurs Grises de Montréal dès 1747.
La transformation du quartier
Le démantèlement de l'enceinte fortifiée de Montréal au début du XIXe siècle, puis l'ouverture en 1825 du Canal de Lachine et la création du Port de Montréal en 1850 marquent le début d'une importante phase d'urbanisation. Dans la foulée de ces changements, la construction du marché Sainte-Anne (sur l'actuelle Place d'Youville), à la suite de la canalisation de la rivière Saint-Pierre en 1832, concrétise le mouvement d'expansion vers le port. L'Hôpital général se trouve désormais au cœur d'une ville en pleine effervescence. Ce développement massif nécessite l'ouverture de rues reliant le port au reste de la ville. S'ensuit le morcellement inéluctable de la propriété des Sœurs Grises. Les religieuses vendent des terrains aux autorités municipales et à des particuliers. En 1836, on perce la rue d'Youville et, en 1840, la rue McGill est prolongée jusqu'au fleuve. Les religieuses quittent le Vieux-Montréal en 1871 pour s'installer dans l'ouest de la ville. Les rues Saint-Pierre et Normand sont alors aménagées en 1872 et 1875 à travers une partie de la propriété, démolissant ainsi plusieurs bâtiments, dont l'aile est (aile des Pauvres) de l'Hôpital et une partie de la chapelle.
Location des bâtiments comme entrepôt
Pendant 110 ans, afin d'aider financièrement l'expansion des œuvres de la congrégation, l'Hôpital général et ses dépendances sont loués à des compagnies qui les utilisent comme entrepôt. La congrégation fait également construire une série de magasins dits « entrepôts » sur ses terrains en 1874 et 1875.
De 1875 à 1980, les Sœurs Grises louent à différentes compagnies les magasins qu'elles possèdent à proximité du port. Devant vous se trouve une passerelle où il y avait jadis un vaste magasin entrepôt de 4 étages. Détruit en 1980 afin de réaliser d'importants travaux de rénovation pour la reconversion du bâtiment, ce magasin, incendié en 1944 et reconstruit, a été loué à la compagnie Gourock-Bridport près de 70 ans. Cette compagnie y entreposait des cordages, des ficelles et des toiles pour bateaux.
Retour aux sources
Le 20 février 1981, les Sœurs Grises reviennent à leur première maison mère, aujourd'hui nommée Maison de Mère d'Youville. La maison rénovée abrite actuellement l'administration générale des Sœurs de la Charité de Montréal, « Sœurs Grises », et différents services administratifs. On y retrouve aussi la chambre où Marguerite d'Youville est décédée, le 23 décembre 1771, qui demeure un véritable sanctuaire pour les Sœurs Grises. On peut également voir la salle autrefois appelée « dépôt des pauvres », endroit où l'on accueillait et servait les personnes démunies.
[légendes]
• Nos Magasins, rue St-Pierre, 1871-1903
• Plan d’élévation des entrepôts, rue St-Pierre, 1871-1903
• Plan de propriété appartenant aux Dames du Couvent Gris, 1857
• Entrepôt Gourock-Brldport, rue St. Pierre, 1964
• Entrepôts. Vue aérienne d’ensemble, 1978
• Camion-citerne, rue St-Pierre, 1964
• Groupe devant l’ancienne chapelle, 1938
The Evolution of the Site as a Witness to the Neighbourhood
The Space Occupied by the Hôpital général
The Hôpital général de Montréal is one of the oldest conventual complexes still standing in Old Montreal. Today, its boundaries are restricted by St. Pierre, d'Youville and Normand Streets, and Place d'Youville. Originally, it occupied a much larger area, mainly bordered by the St. Lawrence and St. Pierre Rivers. Over the years, the building was enlarged and new buildings and sheds were added to meet the growing needs of the Hôpital général, run by the Grey Nuns of Montreal from 1747 onwards.
The Transformation of the Neighbourhood
The dismantling of Montreal's fortified walls at the beginning of the 19th century, followed by the opening of the Lachine Canal in 1825 and the expansion of the Port in 1850, marked the beginning of a major urbanization phase. In the wake of these changes, the construction of the St. Anne's Market (on the current Place d'Youville), following the canalization of the St. Pierre River in 1832, marked the beginning of an expansion towards the growing port. The Hôpital général was, at that time, located in the heart of a bustling and rapidly industrializing city. This massive development required the opening of streets linking the port to the rest of the city resulting in the inevitable division of the Grey Nuns' property. The Sisters sold land to the municipal authorities and to private individuals. In 1836, d'Youville Street was built and, in 1840, McGill Street was extended to the river. The Sisters left Old Montreal in 1871 to settle to the country, in the west end of the city. St. Pierre and Normand Streets were built in 1872 and 1875 cutting through the property, thus demolishing several buildings, including the hospital's east wing (Almshouse — Parlor of the Poor) and part of the chapel.
Rental of the Buildings as a Warehouse
For 110 years, in order to financially support the expansion of the congregation's works of charity, the Hôpital général and its sheds were rented to companies who used them as warehouses. The congregation also built a series of stores called "warehouses" on its grounds in 1874 and 1875.
From 1875 to 1980, the Grey Nuns rented to different companies the storage sheds they owned near the harbor. In front of you is a walkway where a vast 4-story warehouse once stood. Destroyed in 1980 in order to carry out important renovation work for the repurposing of the building, this section, burned down in 1944 and then rebuilt, was rented to the Gourock-Bridport company for almost 70 years. In it, the company stored ropes, twine and canvas for boats.
Back to the Roots
On February 20, 1981, the Grey Nuns returned to their first Motherhouse, now called Maison de Mère d'Youville. The renovated building now houses the general administration of the Sisters of Charity of Montreal, "Grey Nuns", and other organizational services. It also displays the room where Marguerite d'Youville died on December 23, 1771, a genuine sanctuary for the Grey Nuns. We can also see the room formerly known as the "Parlor of the Poor", a place where the destitute were welcomed and served meals.
[captions]
• Our Stores, St. Pierre Street, 1871-1903
• Elevation plan of warehouses, St. Pierre Street, 1871-1903
• Property plan belonging to the Ladies of the Grey Convent, 1857
• Gourock-Brldport Warehouse, St. Pierre Street, 1964
• Warehouses. Aerial view of the group, 1978
• Tank truck, St. Pierre Street, 1964
• Group in front of the old chapel, 1938
Erected by Entente de développement culturel de Montréal, La Ville de Montréal and le gouvernement du Québec.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce • Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1747.
Location. 45° 30.034′ N, 73° 33.296′ W. Marker is in Montréal, Québec. It is in Old Montreal. It is on Rue Saint-Pierre just west of Rue Marguerite-d'Youville, on the left when traveling west. The marker is beside the sidewalk on the north side of the Maison de Mère d'Youville. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 138 Rue Saint-Pierre, Montréal QC H2Y 2L7, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, and the Western World. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Rupert’s Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Les Sœurs Grises de Montréal / The Grey Nuns of Montréal

Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, May 20, 2024
2. L'évolution du site comme témoin du quartier / The Evolution of the site as Witness to Neighbourhood
Regardant vers l'est le long de la Rue Saint-Pierre. Le marqueur se trouve à côté du trottoir. Le coin nord-ouest de la Maison de Mère d'Youville est en arrière-plan. • • • Looking east along Rue Saint-Pierre. The marker is beside the sidewalk. The northwest corner of the Maison de Mère d'Youville is in the background.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Mother Marie-Marguerite d'Youville and The Grey Nuns of Montréal
Also see . . . Grey Nuns' Hospital (Wikipedia).
Excerpt: The Grey Nuns' Hospital (also known as Hôpital général des frères Charron) was a hospital in Montreal, Quebec, Canada that operated from 1695 to 1871. The hospital was built outside the Fortifications of Montreal in 1695. Management and hospital administration were entrusted to the Grey Nuns in 1747. In 1871, the Grey Nuns and their hospital moved uptown, to the building known as the Grey Nuns Motherhouse. On the original site, the eastern wings and most of the central chapel were demolished to make way for an extension of Saint-Pierre Street and the construction of new rental shop-warehouses, while the remaining half of the old building was also rented as warehouses. The rental income from the old site thus helped support the continued charitable work at the new location. In 1971, the Grey Nuns decided to return to their first mother-house. Major renovations of the building were undertaken. The site was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1973.(Submitted on May 23, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2026. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 12 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
