Harmony in Fillmore County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Let's Have "Harmony"
The Biggest Little Town in Southern Minnesota
Before Our Time
The original hotel was the Harmony House (later Pulver Hotel), as it appeared in 1885, when it was owned by Charles A. Thompson. To the left is Mr. Thompson's Boot, Shoe and Harness Shop; the Pool Hall building before it was remodeled into a two-story structure; to the extreme left is the Trogstad building which was erected in 1879 by F.M. Trogstad, Harmony's first merchant.
This building was purchased by The International Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) on February 10, 1910.
Notice the board sidewalks and the hitching posts that existed so many years ago. The man sitting by the hotel door entrance has been recognized as Charles Thompson.
(Courtesy of Harmony News)
Pulver Hotel
Pulver's "Commercial House" Hotel as it looked in its prime.
The south part housed a "sample room," kitchen and sleeping rooms. Traveling salesmen came to town on the train to sell merchandise to the local businessmen, who came to the hotel to pick out what they wanted in the "sample room." Draymen (one was Mr. Gillund), could be hired to bring the trunks of samples to the hotel. The hotel had a livery barn for horses.
The light is a kerosene street light and there is a telephone pole in front of the hotel as well as along the street.
Trogstad Building
Fred M. Trogstad, Harmony's first merchant, built a two-story building in the fall of 1879 on the west side of Main Street. The store carried a full line of merchandise on the first floor and the second floor was used as living quarters for the family. The building still stands on the corner of Main and 1st Street NW.
(Courtesy of Anna Aaberg Jacobson)
Harmony Cafe
This attractive building served as a barber shop and later the Harmony Library and rest room in the early 1920's with Carrie Applen in charge. Oscar Hanson opened and operated the Harmony Cafe during the 30's and 40's.
Grain Elevators
The photo depicts the McMichel Elevator (as viewed from the West) which was built in the fall of 1879. It is still standing on the site.
Depot-1879
This picture shows the early depot. You can see the windmill and the water tank in the background, and the three-story Roller Mill on right of the windmill.
Depot
The first depot was built in 1879, originally located west of town, on the Moen farm,
and was later moved to its present site. The first station agent was W.E. Taylor. The depot stands today on the same location.
View of Harmony
In this view of Harmony there are many buildings to be seen. To the left is the Pulver Hotel, the Depot, the white tall building is the Roller Mill, Day Bros. Lumber Co., Livery Stable for the hotel and the road which would become Highway 52.
Harmony Roller Mill
In 1901, Harbert Daniels built the Harmony Roller Mills and made "The Best" flour. The old flour mill was used as a feed mill until it was purchased by the Wolsteds in 1950.
Bigalk Chevrolet Co.
Russell Bigalk began selling cars in the Conoco Service Station in 1938 as a young man of 24. He soon became owner of this successful business adding Buick and Oldsmobile in 1954.
Erected 2017 by the Harmony Area Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
Location. 43° 33.326′ N, 92° 0.594′ W. Marker is in Harmony, Minnesota, in Fillmore County. It is at the intersection of Main Avenue N. and 1st Street NE, on the right when traveling north on Main Avenue N.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Main Avenue N, Harmony MN 55939, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Southeast Minnesota and in Greater Rochester. It is also in the American Midwest, in the Corn Belt, and in the Driftless Area Bluff Country. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once Ruperts Land, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Louisiana Purchase.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: A different marker also named Let's Have "Harmony" (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Let's Have "Harmony" (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Let's Have "Harmony" (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Let's Have "Harmony" (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic McMichael Grain Elevator Preservation Project (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Let's Have "Harmony" (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Let's Have "Harmony" (about 300 feet away); The Heritage of Downtown Preston (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harmony.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2026. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2026, by McGhiever of Minneapolis, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 8 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2026, by McGhiever of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

