Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Jose in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Santa Clara County Courthouse

 
 
Santa Clara County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 25, 2010
1. Santa Clara County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  
Completed in 1867, this imposing building was constructed in the hope of attracting the State Legislature back to San José. It was designed by Levi Goodrich, a noted local architect. The original building was two-storied with a central dome. After its collapse in a fire in 1931, the dome was replaced by the present third story. The courthouse was renovated and restored in 1973.
 
Erected by City of San Jose.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
 
Location. 37° 20.314′ N, 121° 53.545′ W. Marker is in San Jose, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is on North First Street south of West St. James Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker and building are located across from St. James Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 158 North First Street, San Jose CA 95113, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Post Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Church of Christ, Scientist (about 300 feet away); St. James Park
Santa Clara County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 25, 2010
2. Santa Clara County Courthouse Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 300 feet away); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Sainte Claire Club (about 500 feet away); Henry Morris Naglee (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Trinity Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); Labor Temple (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Jose.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Santa Clara County Courthouse. St. James Park website entry:
The cornerstone was laid in 1866, and the dedication ceremony took place on Jan. 1, 1868. It was hoped that the ornate structure, with its imposing dome, would lure the California State Legislature back to San Jose - it did not. (Submitted on April 28, 2010.) 

2. Downtown San Jose History Walk. This building (Site #17) is featured along with 30 additional sites on the Downtown San Jose History Walk. (Submitted on April 25, 2010.) 
 
Cornerstone - 1866 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 25, 2010
3. Cornerstone - 1866
Northside of Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 25, 2010
4. Northside of Courthouse
Note the third story added after the dome collapsed in the 1931 fire.
Architectural Detail at Top of Columns image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 25, 2010
5. Architectural Detail at Top of Columns
Relief Art Detail on Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 25, 2010
6. Relief Art Detail on Building
Santa Clara County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, April 25, 2010
7. Santa Clara County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 984 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 25, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   5, 6. submitted on May 2, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   7. submitted on April 25, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30118

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 30, 2022