Goshen in Elkhart County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Elkhart County Courthouse
Elkhart County was formed by the Indiana General Assembly 1830; the first county seat was located in Concord Township. County commissioners relocated the county seat to Goshen 1831. Jacob Studebaker, Goshen, designed first brick courthouse, completed 1833. Barrows and Garnsey, Chicago, designed second brick courthouse, completed 1870.
Patton and Miller, Chicago, redesigned and enlarged Renaissance Revival style structure, completed 1909. Contractor, P. H. McCormick, Columbus, dismantled south end tower and dome, added north and south wings, and built new central dome and tower incorporating original 1870 clock. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1980.
Erected 2001 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Elkhart County Commissioners, Elkhart County Historical Society, Jimtown Historical Museum, and Goshen Historical Society. (Marker Number 20.2001.2.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1830.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goshen IN 46526, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Historic Goshen Police Booth (a few steps from this marker); Elkhart County Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Elkhart County Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goshen World War I Memorial (about 700 feet away); Goshen’s Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Millrace Hydraulic Canal - Hawks Electric Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Howard W. Hawks (approx. ¼ mile away); The Old Goshen High School (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goshen.
More about this marker. Marker is in the courthouse lawn, just north of the intersection. Location is between the historic Goshen Police Booth and the Neptune Fountain.
Additional keywords. Buildings and Architecture Courthouse
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2010, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,131 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 26, 2010, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.