Eagle Lake in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Eagle Lake
Early a cattle and farm market; after 1898 had rice production; later ranked as oil center and shipper of sand and gravel. Now fishing and goose hunting mecca.
Home town of Gen. H. H. Johnson (born in 1895), military governor of Rome, Italy in the 1940s.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1325.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1821.
Location. 29° 35.33′ N, 96° 20.05′ W. Marker is in Eagle Lake, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North McCarty Avenue, on the right when traveling north on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eagle Lake TX 77434, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Rice Culture in Colorado County (within shouting distance of this marker); Lakeside Sugar Refinery (approx. 1˝ miles away); Navigation of the Colorado River (approx. 2.7 miles away); Frazarville (approx. 7 miles away); Joseph and Rachel Rabb Newman (approx. 11.1 miles away); Alleyton C.S.A. (approx. 12.2 miles away); Alleyton Cemetery (approx. 12.2 miles away); Alleyton (approx. 12.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagle Lake.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. More about the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 680 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.