San Jose in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
St. Joseph’s Cathedral
St. Joseph’s was the first church of the Pueblo de San José. The original adobe structure was built on the present site in 1803. It was replaced by a second adobe in 1845, which in turn was replaced by a wooden building in 1869. After this structure was destroyed by fire in 1875, the present building was begun. Designed by architect Bryan J. Clinch, this grand edifice continues to house San José’s oldest seat of Christian worship.
Erected by City of San Jose.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1803.
Location. 37° 20.031′ N, 121° 53.445′ W. Marker is in San Jose, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is mounted on a pole on the sidewalk at the front of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90 South Market Street, San Jose CA 95113, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United States Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Juzgado (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Herrold Radio Broadcasting Station Site of World’s First Broadcasting Station (about 400 feet away); World’s First Broadcasting Station (about 400 feet away); The Freedom Tree (about 400 feet away); Plaza de Cesar E. Chavez (about 400 feet away); Centennial Commemoration of the World's First Broadcasting Station (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Jose.
Also see . . . The History of St. Joseph’s. Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph Website entry (Submitted on April 29, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 817 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 29, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.