Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
Meeting House on the Square
this stone meeting house dates from 1757 on the site provided by a deed from Thomas and Richard Penn for "a society of Presbyterians now residing or hereafter to reside in said town and environs thereof forever." The meeting house, designed by architect Robert Smith of Philadelphia, is the oldest public building in Carlisle.
The meeting house, 70 by 50 by 30, originally had entrance doors opening onto the lawn. Clear glass windows ranged along the sides. By the mid-1800s, the entrances were moved to the east end facing Hanover Street, and stained glass was installed. A one-story addition was later added on the west end and the tower was build at the reunion of Old and New
The first level of the south wing was built in the early 1950s. A second floor was added in 1987. This original meeting house and the additions continue to serve as the gathering place for a Presbyterian congregation which traces its roots back to Meeting House Springs.
Erected by A Project of Historic Carlisle, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1911.
Location. 40° 12.093′ N, 77° 11.37′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on W. High Street close to Hanover St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shelling of Carlisle (here, next to this marker); Cumberland County Civil War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Liberty Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Directory of Carlisle (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial Courtyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Jim Thorpe (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named First Presbyterian ChurchVietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 732 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 1, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on December 19, 2021, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. 3. submitted on May 1, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.