Ritzville in Adams County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
N. H. Greene Building
1889
This was the first brick structure built in Ritzville and named "The Brick" by Mr. Greene. The stucco veneer was added in the late 1890's to create a more monumental appearance. The second floor was the Greene's residence until they built a lavish home that is known as "The Portico", at which time the second floor became rental rooms and apartments. The first floor store front has been various businesses until it became the Pastime cigar store. At the end of the Prohibition, M.D. "Foxy" Thiel started The Tavern, which has been in operation until the present time. Foxy was also a city leader who worked to organize the Ritzville golf course.
Erected by Historic Ritzville Walking Tour. (Marker Number 16.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 47° 7.615′ N, 118° 22.833′ W. Marker is in Ritzville, Washington, in Adams County. It is at the intersection of West Main Avenue and North Washington Street, on the left when traveling south on West Main Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 W Main Ave, Ritzville WA 99169, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Washington’s Columbia Basin, in the Palouse, and in Greater Spokane. It is also in the American Mountain West and in the Lewis & Clark Corridor. Globally, it is in North America, the Pacific Rim, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: H.E. Gritman Building (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer State Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Ritz Theatre (about 300 feet away); E.D. Gilson Building (about 400 feet away); Adams County Bank (about 400 feet away); Ritzville Public Library 1907 (about 400 feet away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2026. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2026, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. This page has been viewed 12 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2026, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. • James Hulse was the editor who published this page.

