Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Warm Springs in Bath County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The County Seat of Bath

 
 
The County Seat of Bath Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2010
1. The County Seat of Bath Marker
Inscription.  After 112 years in buildings near the Warm Springs mineral baths a mile northeast, the Bath County Court moved to this site in 1908. The architect, Frank P. Milburn, predicted the new courthouse would be “an honor and ornament to Bath County for generations.” It contained a central rotunda with exhibit space, a fire- proof vault, and elaborate facilities for jurors including overnight rooms with “nice single iron beds” and toilets. The building burned in 1912, but the county records dating from 1791 onward survived with the loss of only one order book left outside the vault overnight. In 1914 a new, Classical Revival-style courthouse, designed by T. J. Collins and Son, was completed on the same foundation. An addition doubled its size in 1980.
 
Erected 1994 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number D-35.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
 
Location. 38° 
The County Seat of Bath and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2010
2. The County Seat of Bath and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
2.754′ N, 79° 47.367′ W. Marker is in Warm Springs, Virginia, in Bath County. Marker is on County Route 619 west of U.S. 220, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Warm Springs VA 24484, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of Our Fallen Comrades (a few steps from this marker); Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Bath County Historical Society Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dinwiddie Mantle (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Waterwheel Restaurant Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Overshoot Wheel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mary Johnston (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warm Springs.
 
Bath County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2010
3. Bath County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 633 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 8, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30491

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 26, 2021