Unalaska in Aleutians West Census Area, Alaska — Northwest (North America)
Church of the Holy Ascension
This is the oldest Russian-built church standing in the U.S. The center was built on the vessel or quadrilateral ground plan in 1825. When enlarged in 1894 wings were attached to form a cross, changing the structure to the Pskov or cruciform ground plan.
Designated a National Historic Landmark, the church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 15, 1970.
Erected by Alaska Heritage Resource Survey, State of Alaska. (Marker Number UNL-006.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Landmarks • Religion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
Location. 53° 52.538′ N, 166° 32.193′ W. Marker is in Unalaska in Aleutians West Census Area, Alaska. It is on West Broadway Avenue east of 1st Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 265 W Broadway Ave, Unalaska AK 99685, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is on Alaska’s Aleutian Islands and in the Unangax (Aleut) Region. It is also on the American Pacific Coast. Globally, it is in North America, in North Pacific, on the Ring of Fire, in the Pacific Rim, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Russian Empire.
Also see . . . Church of the Holy Ascension. Wikipedia entry:
Links to National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form (Submitted on July 21, 2026, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2026. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2025, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on July 14, 2026, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2025, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

