Manfred in Wells County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Central Office and Neighborhood
An Authentic Settlers' Community Celebrating Rural America
1. Telephone service for the Manfred area started in 1908 as a part of the Manfred-Fram Telephone Company. The Central Office was built in 1909 to house the switchboard. Operators were Clara Le Grand and Olive Torkelson 1908-1909; Fred Johnson, Harold Skogmo, Tillie Opdahl, and Emma Larson 1910-1912; B.W. Baldwin and Helga Hauge 1913-1914; Gertrude Le Grand 1915-1917; Anna Dovre 1918-1922; Marie Hovey 1923-1952, with Mildred Boese Soiseth assisting in the late 1930s; and Violet Boese Kittelson 1952-1954. With the closing of Manfred's exchange, residents could choose phone service through either Fessenden or Harvey. The telephone lines were in poor condition at that time, so the members rebuilt their lines, assisted by Bell Telephone Company. In 1962, Bell Telephone bought out the local telephone groups. North Dakota Telephone Company (NDTC) became the service provider in 1993.
Residents of the houses to the north and west of the Central Office were:
2. Olaf and Thea Tansem (built in 1899), Steiner and Bergitte Aasand, Nennie and Alpha Johnson, and Edwin and Celia Olstad.
3. Swan and Sophie Willborg (built in 1900), Olaf and Nina Roble, Torstein Roble. In 1928, this house was moved to Harvey.
4. W. Roy and Sadie Owen (built in 1917), Anton and Emma Aasand, P.B. and Anna Anderson. In 1945, Manfred Farmers Union Elevator Company purchased this house as its elevator managers' residence for which it served until the early 2000s.
5. This house was built in 1946 by Rudolph, and Martha Hieb, using materials from the first house built here by Christ and Anna Roble; Ole and Clara Gladheim, Walter and Mayme Larson.
6. Bertha Melby installed a modular home here in 1965. The house was later moved to a nearby farm.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Location. 47° 41.69′ N, 99° 44.956′ W. Marker is in Manfred, North Dakota, in Wells County. It is on Manfred Avenue just south of Le Grand Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Manfred ND 58465, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in North Dakota’s Drift Prairie. It is also in the American Lewis & Clark Corridor, on the prairies, and on the Northern Plains. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once Ruperts Land and also the Louisiana Purchase.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: East Side of Main Avenue (here, next to this marker); Soo Line Railroad at Manfred (within shouting distance of this marker); West Side of Main Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker); The Elevators of Manfred (within shouting distance of this marker); North Side of Elevator Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Lake Avenue Neighborhood (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Manfred Lake on the James River (about 300 feet away); Vang Lutheran Church (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manfred.

Courtesy Manfred Heritage Museum
4. Marker detail: Marie Hovery
Marie Hovery served as operator of the telephone switchboard for 30 years 1923 until 1952. Members of the community depended on Marie's dedication in keeping them connected with each other and the outside world. Severe arthritis did not limit her capabilities.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2026. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 8 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 17, 2026, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.



