Logan in Hocking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church
National Register
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
1897 - 98
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Religion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
Location. 39° 32.611′ N, 82° 24.521′ W. Marker is in Logan, Ohio, in Hocking County. It is at the intersection of North Market Street and North Street, on the left when traveling north on North Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 371 North Market Street, Logan OH 43138, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Ohio’s Hocking Hills. It is also in the American Midwest, in the Corn Belt, in Appalachia, and specifically in Northern Appalachia. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Logan High School Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonel Charles Youngs Historic Ride to Washington / Logan, Ohio: The Third Nights Stop (approx. 0.2 miles away); McCarthy-Blosser-Dillon Building (approx. Ό mile away); Thomas Worthington (approx. Ό mile away); Hocking County Civil War Memorial (approx. Ό mile away); U.S.S. Hocking (approx. Ό mile away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Logan.
Regarding St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church. In 1859, the parish with around 300 members purchased the present property on North Market Street. A wooden frame church, built by a parishioner on the site of the current rectory, became the parishs new home in 1861. Groundbreaking for the current church building took place in 1896, with the work completed on the Colonial Revival / Late Gothic Revival style structure by June, 1898. The dedication ceremony was a momentous
event, drawing over 3,000 attendees who traveled by train to witness the occasion. The church and surrounding complex was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. Property description, site and floor plans, and photographs. (Submitted on July 19, 2026, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2026. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2026, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 8 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2026, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.

