Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Augustine in San Augustine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

San Augustine County Courthouse

 
 
San Augustine County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 24, 2014
1. San Augustine County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  When the town of San Augustine was platted in 1834, this property was reserved for the public square, but it was another 20 years before the first courthouse was constructed here.

San Augustine was one of the 23 original counties established after Texas won independence from Mexico in 1836. Early courts were held in the Mansion Hotel, and by 1840 the county government operated out of the federal custom house. In 1854, San Augustine County built its first courthouse on the public square. The subsequent courthouse, an 1890 Italianate structure, was razed to make room for the current building.

Completed in 1927, the third San Augustine County Courthouse is constructed of Texas Lueders stone. It is symmetrical in plan with a prominent central entry bay and exhibits influences of the Classical Revival style of architecture. The County Commissioners Court, with county judge Ed Kennon presiding, selected East Texas architect Shirley Simons as the designer and the firm of Campbell and White as the builders.

Over the years, the square has been a gathering place for community and county events. Monuments placed on the grounds include a bronze statue of James Pinckney Henderson, first governor of the state of Texas and a resident of San Augustine; and a veterans memorial erected in 1951. The 1927
San Augustine County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, May 8, 2010
2. San Augustine County Courthouse Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
courthouse stands as a center of politics and government for the people of San Augustine County and an important part of the city's 20th-century architectural heritage.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001
 
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12729.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
 
Location. 31° 31.83′ N, 94° 6.666′ W. Marker is in San Augustine, Texas, in San Augustine County. Marker is on West Columbia Street east of Broadway Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Augustine TX 75972, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Pinckney Henderson (a few steps from this marker); Major Murry L. Wortham (within shouting distance of this marker); San Augustine County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Augus Theatre (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Hollis Building (about 500 feet away); Sam Houston in San Augustine (about 500 feet away); The "Red Lander" Office (about 500 feet away); Site of Law Office of Kenneth L. Anderson (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Augustine.
 
San Augustine County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 24, 2014
3. San Augustine County Courthouse Marker
San Augustine County Courthouse and statue of Gov. James Henderson. image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, May 8, 2010
4. San Augustine County Courthouse and statue of Gov. James Henderson.
San Augustine County Courthouse (<i>northwest corner</i>) image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, May 24, 2014
5. San Augustine County Courthouse (northwest corner)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 873 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 22, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   2. submitted on May 12, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas.   3. submitted on June 22, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   4. submitted on May 12, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas.   5. submitted on June 22, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30642

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 22, 2022