Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Westport in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Post Road Bridge

 
 
The Post Road Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, May 5, 2010
1. The Post Road Bridge Marker
Inscription.  
The Post Road Bridge
1807 Westport was a prosperous shipping community with wharves, docks, and shipyards along both sides of the Saugatuck River. The first Post Road Bridge was owned and built by the Connecticut Turnpike Company, a public service corporation chartered in 1806 by the General Assembly to build a highway from Fairfield to Greenwich with four toll Gates. The Westport portion was called State Street. The bridge toll charge ranged from 25 cents for two-horse stages and pleasure carriages, to 2 cents for each animal crossing the wood-plank bridge.
1857 The newly constructed railroad forced the Connecticut Turnpike Company out of business. Ownership of the bridge was turned over to the Town of Westport (incorporated 1835). The Town constructed a hoisting draw to allow for tall river traffic. Its design flaws and frequent repairs were the subject of great town controversy.
1917 The Strauss Bascule Bridge Co. of Chicago redesigned the earlier bridge, and town controversy subsided. This engineer's 1915 drawings show the location of the bearings in the bridge, and the way the drawbridge opened
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to allow boats to pass. The bridge cost $185,586.
1930s Westport was no longer a shipping center, and the Post Road was part of the State road system. In 1954, when Parker-Harding Plaza and the Library addition were built, the drawbridge was eliminated, ornamental railings and light fixtures were added, and the trolley tracks were removed.
1990-1992 The Connecticut Department of Transportation widened the bridge, lengthened the spans, and made extensive improvements. Buried bearing housings from the 1817 drawbridge were removed. This sculpture, "A Bridge in Time, " by Bobbie Kletzsch Friedman, incorporates 3 of them.
This project is sponsored by
The Sunrise Rotary Club of Westport Foundation, Inc.
The Downtown Merchants Association, and Drew Friedman
October 3, 1999
 
Erected 1999 by The Sunrise Rotary Club of Westport Foundation, Inc., The Downtown Merchants Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. In addition, it is included in the Rotary International series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1976.
 
Location. 41° 8.44′ N, 73° 21.722′ W. Marker is in Westport, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Jesup Road and Taylor Place, on the right
The Post Road Bridge Marker and "A Bridge in Time" Sculpture image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, May 5, 2010
2. The Post Road Bridge Marker and "A Bridge in Time" Sculpture
The sculpture is made of bearing housings from the 1817 drawbridge.
when traveling east on Jesup Road. Located in front of the Westport Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Jesup Road, Westport CT 06880, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jesup Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Jesup-Godillot House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); 22½ Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Godillot Carriage House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Disbrow Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wheeler House (approx. ¼ mile away); The Town of Westport, Connecticut (approx. 0.3 miles away); Westport Korean War Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Westport.
 
The Post Road Bridge over the Saugatuck River image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Herrick, May 5, 2010
3. The Post Road Bridge over the Saugatuck River
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,136 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 12, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30644

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024